This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 9:50 PM by pthaden RSS

Converting VirtualBox .vdi or .vmdk for Oracle VM 3 as sparse images?

pthaden Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I've got a bunch of VMs I'd like to convert from VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation to run on Oracle VM Server 3.2.2.

I've been using Wim's awesome post about "VBoxManage clonehd" from here: https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/converting_an_oracle_vm_virtua. However, the RAW format files that this conversion produces aren't sparse images and take up so much room in my Oracle VM Repositories.

For instance, I have a VM with two disks that I converted using VBoxManage. The .VDI files are 20 and 30 GB, respectively. But once I convert them into RAW format they jump to 50 and 200 GB, because that's how big the drives were partitioned to be. The RAW format doesn't keep the disks as sparse and the .IMG files waste a ton of space.

I can use "VBoxManage clonehd --format vmdk" to create smaller-sized sparse disk images, but this format doesn't import into Oracle VM Server.

Are there any other utilities for converting a sparsely-sized VirtualBox disk image into a sparsely-sized Oracle VM 3 Virtual Disk?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points