This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 4:54 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    996800 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=---myip---)(PORT=1523)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER1
    Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date 19-MAR-2013 06:13:59
    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 4 min. 2 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Parameter File /data/ora/oracledb/product/11.2.0/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    Listener Log File /data/ora/oracledb/diag/tnslsnr/---myip---/listener1/alert/log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=---myip---)(PORT=1523)))
    The listener supports no services
    The command completed successfully
  • 16. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    Pavan DBA Expert
    the above output is showing port no as 1523. but earlier you said you configured new listener on 1522. which port no you used?

also connect to testnew database as sysdba and issue below command

alter system register; - this will register listener information with listener.

after issuing above command, please run lsnrctl status your_new_listener_name and in the output see if it is showing testnew service or not.
  • 17. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    JohnWatson Guru
    Pavan DBA wrote:
    also connect to testnew database as sysdba and issue below command

alter system register; - this will register listener information with listener.
    Well, not necessarily. By default, the instance will register with a listener on port 1521, if there is one. OP is not running his listener on port 1521, but on port 1523. So before attempting to register, OP must
    alter system set local_listener='--myip---:1523';
    --
    John Watson
    Oracle Certified Master DBA
    http://skillbuilders.com
  • 18. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    996800 Newbie
    I used 1523 only...sorry..dint mention that...

I cannot connect to sqlplus sys@testnew as sysdba

I get the error like TNS Listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor...:(
  • 19. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    Pavan DBA Expert
    OP is also having another listener running on 1521. Now OP created new listener on 1523. to make sure that the new listener is listening to testnew database i suggested that.
  • 20. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    Pavan DBA Expert
    use the below information

export ORACLE_SID=testnew
    sqlplus / as sysdba

when you are there on the database server, you don't need to use tns alias.
  • 21. Re: Connecting to 2 Oracle databases on different port
    EdStevens Guru
    993797 wrote:
    Hi,

Oracle Version : 11G
    Database SIDs : test and testnew
    Listener name: LISTENER
    Port number: 1521
    Net Services name: TEST and TESTNEW

I opened ./netca and I was able to test the service TEST successfully. But when i try to test the service TESTNEW, i get the error
    ORA-03135: Connection Lost

How do i solve this.

Iam new to Database handling. Please help me...

Thanks in advance.
    Having read this entire thread up to this point, let me address a few misconceptions you have.

First and foremost, the is absolutely NO reason -- zero, zilch, nada, null, nyet -- reason to have more than one listener. One single listener, with the default name of LISTENER, using the single default port of 1521, is quite capable of --- indeed, WAS DESIGNED TO --- service multiple databases of multiple versions running from multiple homes.

Second, and because of the first, there is no reason whatsoever to try to use different ports for different databases. The databases don't even know about that. It is strictly a listener issue - the address by which a connection request for any database on the target server is routed to the listener, not the database.

For further background, you might find these helpful:
    see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
    see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex) 
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points