This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 6:51 AM by Fuat M RSS

M5000 and their sound

manni2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi , simple question: we have 7 M5000 in the racks and standing between them we have to say they are producing a lot of very noisy sounds.
Is this only from the running fans and disks ? Or should we call the service to check. I have to they since we have them they had this sound , so no changes at all.

Edited by: Manni2 on 19.03.2013 05:25
  • 1. Re: M5000 and their sound
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    If you have MOS credentials to log a SR, then do that. You will then get some peace of mind.

You could also go to the system's documentation and review the specifications with regards to normal sound levels.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19580-01/index.html
    The informati9on might be there, somewhere.

Lastly, with MOS credentials, you can examine the System Handbook site for that platform and see if they've included a general specifications page that describes the expected sound level output for the design (then go buy a sound level meter to actually take readings of what your system is producing).

Edit:
    Link to that System Handbook (available only with a CSI login):
    https://support.oracle.com/handbook_private/index.html

Edited by: rukbat on Mar 19, 2013 8:38 AM
  • 2. Re: M5000 and their sound
    manni2 Newbie
    I have an account for MOS and already reading the system hand book, but there is nothing mentioned so far about the sound pressure. I saw in a data sheet there i smentioned 60db, which is less then we have I think. I will open a SR to get a clarification, thanks
  • 3. Re: M5000 and their sound
    manni2 Newbie
    Cannot forward it as it does not set the "operating system " correct , error in MOS, I could store it : Draft SR 3-6950071511 has been saved successfully
  • 4. Re: M5000 and their sound
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    These forums are NOT Oracle's technical support.
    That is deliberate.
    These are Community user-to-user forums.
    The SR number means nothing here.

Although it may eventually be nice if you post the results of whatever you might learn, you now need to communicate only with them.
  • 5. Re: M5000 and their sound
    manni2 Newbie
    thanks , the answer was that the fan's are running with ~10.000rpm and this makes the sound
  • 6. Re: M5000 and their sound
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    Possible temperature at you server room to high.

See: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19580-01/821-2797-10/21ch4p.html

Your server will not so noise if you decrease temperature below 23 C.

Regards.
  • 7. Re: M5000 and their sound
    manni2 Newbie
    The room is clima controlled so that was not the problem, but thanks for mentioning.
  • 8. Re: M5000 and their sound
    Fuat M Newbie
    Hi,
    I have face with this problem before. If one of your Power supplies fails, than Fans start working more speedy. Could you please check your PS ?
    Another reason is that you need to setup altitude of system from XSCF. Calculate the altitude with smartphone (there are apps for this) than apply it to xscf. (set altitude or similar command exist)
    I hope it helps.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points