This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 9:15 AM by Marco Milo RSS

Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0

973826 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
I am trying to migrate the Sun One Directory Server 5.2 to Sun Directory Server 6.0. I am getting the following error
bash-3.2# ./dsmig migrate-config /var/Sun/mps/slapd-circb2bld3/ /var/SunDirectoryServer6.0/dsInst/

Launching Configuration Migration of server instance /var/Sun/mps/slapd-circb2bld3 .....
Enter the certificate database password:
Starting server instance /var/SunDirectoryServer6.0/dsInst ..... Instance /var/SunDirectoryServer6.0/dsInst is already running (ns-slapd pid is 3868)
Enter "cn=Directory Manager" password:
Connecting to server localhost:389 .....
Could not bind securely on "localhost:389".
Remote host closed connection during handshake
Details: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
Could not create context for configuration migration.
Operation "migrate-config" failed.

Please help me.
  • 1. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    Marco Milo Journeyer
    Hi,
    if you want to bind non securely, you need to specify the '-e' switch.

HTH,
    Marco
  • 2. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    973826 Newbie
    Thank you for the quick rresponse.
    So should I use
    ./dsmig migrate-config -e /var/Sun/mps/slapd-circb2bld3/ /var/SunDirectoryServer6.0/dsInst/

for migrating?

Edited by: 970823 on Mar 15, 2013 1:37 PM
  • 3. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    todd grayson - oracle Newbie
    Please stop

The migration guide has step by step instructions, including command line examples, are you using that as your reference?

Your upgrade should be to (at a minimum) DSEE 6.3.1.1.1. Upgrading to 6.0 is upgrading to a release level that has no patches or fixes to the product. There are significant fixes to the migration command line tools. There is a good chance you will run into issues.

You should install and review migration to ODSEE 11.1.1.7.0 (which would effectively be the 7.2 release of the DS).

There is a specific guide for migration and upgrade, which includes migration from DS 5.2 to 11.x

The full documentation collection for 11.1.1.7.0 is here

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29127_01/index.htm

The specific migration guide is here

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29127_01/doc.111170/e28971/toc.htm

See: Part II Migrating from ODSEE 5.2 to ODSEE 11g Release 1 (11.1.1.7.0)

ODSEE 11.1.1.7.0 can be downloaded from here.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/downloads/oid-11g-161194.html
  • 4. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    Etienne Remillon Newbie
    Let us know if documentation does not help to address you needs.
    Etienne Remillon
  • 5. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    973826 Newbie
    Hi,

I would like to use the Sun Directory Server 6.0 as this is the only version for Tivoli Access Manager 6.0. So we need to migrate to 6.0
  • 6. Re: Error while migrating to Sun Directory Server 6.0
    Marco Milo Journeyer
    Hi,
    I thought you needed to migrate to 6.0 for an intermediate step, otherwise I'd seriously warned before going that way.

As also mentioned in the previous posts of this thread I STRONGLY recommend you to move to a later release.

If you want to remain stick with 6.x release, consider at least upgrading to the latest available revision of that branch (6.3.1.1.1, released July 2012), since the one you're going to install is has been released in 2006/7, and of course is missing MANY fixes/features introduced during the years.

If you have concerns about the integration with Tivoli, if it has been done 'over the protocol' (at the LDAP layer, so that Tivoli is just behaving like a pure LDAP V3-compliant client), then in theory there's really no difference by which LDAP server you have behind so, you could (much more) safely use 6.3.1.1.1 instead of 6.0

HTH,
    Marco

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points