13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 8:11 PM by 972355

How can i make  network  between two databases  ?

Good Morning to all ;
      Going to configure  oracle 10g -  (
      I trying to exchange data between two different databases.
      Each database is configured in different operating systems.

For ex : one database from windows XP(seperate virtual machinne)
      one database from linux rhel (seperate virtual machinne)

I am waiting for some suggestions ..

Thanks ..

Edited by: 969352 on Mar 19, 2013 10:04 AM
        • 1. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
          vlethakula
          Create Private database link between two users

on db1 usera:

create database link dblinkname connect to userb identified by userb using 'db2 tns alias'

Edited by: vlethakula on Mar 19, 2013 10:11 AM
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
            Osama_Mustafa
            make sure that two server is ping on each other , and you can use database link , export databump with network_link option
            expdp network_link
            • 3. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
              Thanks .. I have bit confused because both from different host.

should i do any ip configuration for windows  database ?

- because i don't have any idea with windows.

Thanks vlethakula ..
              • 4. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
                >
                I trying to exchange data between two different databases.
                Each database is configured in different operating systems.
                I am waiting for some suggestions ..
                >

It is hard to suggest without of knowing requirements for that exchange.
                There are a dosen of different approaches, technologies and products for this,
                starting from SQL*Plus COPY command, issuing distributed DML over DB Link, creating materialize view, using simple and Advanced Replication, Warehouse Builder, Data Guard ... and finishing with Golden Gate and third party products.

Be more specific. Main requirements are:
                - are both DBs Oracle?
                - how long latency is expected when propagating a data change from Source to Target DB?
                - is it one direction or by-direction?
                - are data collisions possible when by-direction, and how these supposed to be resolved?
                • 5. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                  Be more specific. Main requirements are:
                  - are both DBs Oracle - Yes  both are oracle 10g

- is it one direction or by-direction - Yes  the link is one- way
                  • 6. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                    Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
                    should i do any ip configuration for windows database ?
                    you can use numeric IP
                    • 7. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                      Should i do any ip configuration for windows database ?

* > you can use numeric IP*

Could you please provide any good ( official ) or private doc to configure ip for windows ?
                      Someone guiding me to use following option
                      *> IS this right ? :* my computer >>device_manager >> network adapter >> etc ..

thanks ..
                      • 8. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                        EdStevens
                        969352 wrote:
                        Thanks .. I have bit confused because both from different host.

should i do any ip configuration for windows  database ?

- because i don't have any idea with windows.

Thanks vlethakula ..
                        Oracle's TNS network layer just sits on top of the standard OSI network stack. Every call to, from, or between oracle databases very quickly ends up packaged and transmitted as 'just another network transmission'. Therefore you will need to make sure your standard network configuration is complete. Each machine will have to have a fixed (not dhcp) ip address. Each machine will need to know that fixed IP address of the other (etc/hosts file). Necessary ports will need to be open through the various firewalls.

It sounds from your original post that you are running two virtual machines ... are they both under a virtualization product running on the same physical machine? Would that physical machine be your own desktop? What virtualization product are you using?

What have you actually tried to do? Where are you stuck?

I am waiting for some suggestions
                        One would assume so, else why would you post a question?
                        • 9. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                          What virtualization product are you using?
                          *#* vmware-toolbox-cmd -v
                          8.1.3.9911 (build-203739)

VMWARE  Product  Information :

Version : 7.0.0 build - 203739
                          What have you actually tried to do? ( Data Transfer )
                          I tried to exchange data from windows database  to linux DB
                          Where are you stuck?
                          I don't know ,  how to configure ip and necessary information  for windows database.

That's it Edstevens .. thanks ..
                          • 10. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                            are they both under a virtualization product running on the same physical machine?
                            Would that physical machine be your own desktop?
                            Yes ,  my own desktop.
                            • 11. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                              Any official document is available ?
                              If so , Kindly provide the link *( data transfer from windows to linux databases)*

Thanks to all ..
                              • 12. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                                EdStevens
                                969352 wrote:
                                What virtualization product are you using?
                                *#* vmware-toolbox-cmd -v
                                8.1.3.9911 (build-203739)

VMWARE  Product  Information :

Version : 7.0.0 build - 203739
                                OK. You will need to make sure the ip addresses you assign to your vms are in the same subnet as the adapter create by the installation of vmware. Once you get the fundamental network setup fixed, you can treat these vms just like any machine in your data center. Forget the vm console and access them exactly like you would any remote server -- putty for the linux machine and Windows Remote Desktop for the Windows machine.

At a command prompt on the host, issue this:
                                c:> ipconfig -all
                                You will get back info on several net adapters, two of which are identified as being with vmware -- vmNet1 and vmNet8. Note the IP addresses of both. We'll need it later.
                                You will also need to know how you configured the network adapters on your vm's -- NAT, bridged, hostonly, ???

Note that these issues are out of scope for this forum. I don't mind helping, but I no longer have a vmware installation to reference details.
                                What have you actually tried to do? ( Data Transfer )
                                I tried to exchange data from windows database  to linux DB
                                That's pretty vague. Exactly how did you try to "exchange data"? A sql statement using a db_link? export/import? Carrier Pigeon?
                                >
                                Where are you stuck?
                                I don't know ,  how to configure ip and necessary information  for windows database.
                                Configuring an IP address is purely an OS admin issue and is out of scope for this database forum.
                                Google is your friend, but only if you use it: [url http://lmgtfy.com/?q=configure+windows+ip+address]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=configure+windows+ip+address
                                >
                                That's it Edstevens .. thanks ..
                                • 13. Re: How can i make  network  between two databases  ?
                                  Thanks EdStevens

Sure , I will done my work very soon after i will close this thread ..