This content has been marked as final. Show 4 replies
1) What is the difference between Automatic Gap Resolution & FAL Gap Resolution?
Automatic gap resolution occurs automatically without any configuration. FAL must be configured.
2) Does LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG provide security check for data Guard that the connection between the database is allowed?
LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG enables or disables the sending of redo logs to remote destinations.
I don't think of it as security since I see no security features, encryption, passwords etc.
In Non - RAC Data Guard works without it being set so I would say no.
3) In case Standby archive destination gets full, does Oracle stop redo transport from primary to standby?
No. The Primary alert log posts many errors, but it will keep trying and as soon as you resolve the standby issue it will generally just start working.
1) FAL_SERVER & FAL_CLIENT parameters are used for gap resolution even if primary is not available for some reason. However, automatic gap resolution doesn't require any config.
2) I don't think it provide any security check, it simply tells primary db where to send archive logs in other words it tell about all the standby members in this DG config.
3) Your standby db will be hang and you will be getting error messages in alert.log of both primary & standby (this is my thought as i have not faced this situation yet, but worth of giving it a try. will try this)....
Edited by: user11982706 on Mar 19, 2013 8:58 PM
Thanks for your reply.
In response to your 3rd answer. How long it will keep trying? Is there any specific time limit for that?
It depends on REOPEN and MAX_FAILURES attributes settings. The default value is 300 seconds.