This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 5:31 AM by Dude! RSS

Right way of accessing FTP server

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I had an important doubt on what is the right way to access an FTP server, is it through the browser or through Windows explorer. I think, the right way is through Windows explorer.

I hope, my question is clear on what is the right way to access an FTP server.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Right way of accessing FTP server
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    through Windows explorer
    Why would you think that a Linux forum is an appropriate place to ask such a question?

What happens when you try? (You didn't bother to describe that.)

Your question shows that you seem to have the expectation that you can just dump a question out to some place on the Internet and everyone will teach you everything you ever want to know, as many of your forum questions have been.

Well, here's your answer:
    Go use a FTP client program to get files from a FTP server.
    If you insist on it being something graphical, go find such a program and install it.
    However ...
    The simplest method if you are hoping to pull something down to a computer running Linux would be for you learn to use the command line FTP protocol in a terminal window.
  • 2. Re: Right way of accessing FTP server
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    *Moderator Action:
    Your other post from today, where you were asking "how come I can't find the files I FTP'd down" has been removed.

You are again directed to take your RHEL questions out to some other forum such as a RedHat web site. Don't post fundamental fresher OS questions here. Go take a school course. Go buy a book. Learn to use Google.
  • 3. Re: Right way of accessing FTP server
    975148 Newbie
    Hi Rukbat,

Please allow me to put a point here that upload was possible using Windows explorer but was not possible using the browser.

For the other question, I feel it is not a fresher question as I am not being able see the files when accessed from Windows explorer or the browser but this can be seen when accessed from the root login into the server.

These questions were getting really confusing so I wanted the experts in the forum to share their view.

Regards
  • 4. Re: Right way of accessing FTP server
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    upload was possible using Windows explorer
    That is called copy-and-paste.
    but was not possible using the browser.
    Of course not.
    Browsers aren't expected to send anything via FTP unless they are using some application designed at the other end of the connection that makes you think it is doing that.
    Web browsers are not full function FTP client programs.
    For the other question, I feel it is not a fresher question as I am not being able see the files when accessed from Windows explorer or the browser
    That is a permissions issue.
    Again, this sort of rank beginner comment suggests you may need to go do a lot of training before you start splattering forum questions all over the place.
  • 5. Re: Right way of accessing FTP server
    Dude! Guru
    This is actually a Windows questions and has nothing to do with Linux.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the windows explorer or file manager and MS internet explorer have merged in Windows many years ago. FTP upload support for any other web browser depends on the web browser. This was actually mentioned in a previous thread To make an ftp server writable

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points