This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 10:07 PM by yxes2013 RSS

standby database

yxes2013 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

Oracle 10g and 11g
SLES 11

I am a new hire in the small company with no documentations and the DBA was gone AWOL and can not be reached.

They have PROD and Standby database as mentioned verbally. Ii was mentioned also that standby was not working anymore or has failed or has been put to active accidentally.

In this regard, is the PROD still have dependencies on the "failed" standby Db? I mean is it holding back some files for the benefit of the standby Db?

How do I know if a certain database has a standby db created? How do I break-up the tie or their links/connection if there is, so that the PROD will go free and will standalone?

Thanks a lot,

zxy

Edited by: yxes2013 on 20.3.2013 20:55
  • 1. Re: standby database
    sb92075 Guru
    Handle:     yxes2013
    Email:     krishel130@yahoo.com
    Status Level:     Newbie
    Total Posts:     397
    Total Questions:     57 (32 unresolved)

How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
  • 2. Re: standby database
    yxes2013 Newbie
    The thread is already locked :(
  • 3. Re: standby database
    asahide Expert
    Hi,
    How do I know if a certain database has a standby db created?
    How do I break-up their links/connection if there is, so that the PROD will go free and will standalone?
    Check init parameter, LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG.
    If set, You have standby database as config name.

And you unset this parameter then log transfer will stop.
    Also You have to check LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameter.

Regards,
  • 4. Re: standby database
    CKPT Guru
    They have PROD and Standby database as mentioned verbally. Ii was mentioned also that standby was not working anymore or has failed or has been put to active accidentally.
    When standby is behind and inconsistency in recovery, then you cannot put database in open(read-only) + Recovery.
    In this regard, is the PROD still have dependencies on the "failed" standby Db? I mean is it holding back some files for the benefit of the standby Db?
    In maximum performance, there will be no dependency on standby database, of course it tries to do send redo/archives from primary to the all standby databases, In case of Maximum protection/availability then primary database is depended on the standby database, Because transaction has to commit at least one standby database then it will be applicable on primary database, BTW there is some differences in maximum protection and availability, I mentioned in brief.
    How do I know if a certain database has a standby db created? How do I break-up the tie or their links/connection if there is, so that the PROD will go free and will standalone?
    You have to find out, when the last sequence applied on standby. you can check by below query
    SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$archived_log where applied='YES';

Based on that sequence number, check the completion_time on primary database. Lets suppose you have all the archives from the above sequence number to till sequence, Then you are safe. By configuring properly you can fix.

Lets suppose, you do not have any archives or even in backups, you have to perform incremental roll forward technique you can check this link from my blog
    http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/rman-incremental-backups-to-roll-forward-a-physical-standby-database-2/

If the differences between primary and standby is huge, Then you can also consider the option to rebuild the standby database again.
    HTH.
  • 5. Re: standby database
    606331 Explorer
    check v$database,v$archived_log,v$log_history views...you may get the details of standby db info......
    please check ....below metalink notes for more info

How to remove a Data Guard Configuration from Primary Database [ID 733794.1]

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/troubleshooting.htm

Edited by: dbc001 on Mar 21, 2013 9:50 AM
  • 6. Re: standby database
    yxes2013 Newbie
    I thank you all :) you have equally great knowledge in oracle standby db. I gave you 99% grade ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points