This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2013 2:31 AM by user10656964 RSS

Mobility for PeopleSoft?

998497 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm looking for any information on Smartphone (iphone / android) Apps or App for Peoplesoft. Our company has Peoplesoft v9 and we have over 1500 employees with majority of our staff based at client sites. A mobile based App would be a major advantage to our constant issue with late submissons of timesheets.

Is there any though to including this in future versions of PeopleSoft? Can we build our own? Are there APIs or services we can call to Peoplesoft?
  • 1. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    991212 Newbie
    I am not sure of the API's provided by Oracle or PeopleSoft, but as long as you are able to access your PeopleSoft from outside world you can, you can use your mobile to access / update it. Are you able to access your Application from internet ?
  • 2. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    628269 Newbie
    The previous poster is correct in that a system externally accessible is a part of the process of setting a system up to be available on mobile.

I believe you can write an application yourself using Oracle ADF, but I'm not sure of the licence implications when you move it to production. If you're interested in commercial solutions, then if your requirement is putting a mobile layer on top of a specific component, or a small set of components, then the company that I work for, Succeed Consultancy (http://www.succeed.co.uk) , would be a good place to start.

If you're after a product that can mobile enable your entire system, then Grey Heller's PeopleMobile (http://greyheller.com/Products/people-mobile.html) product is also one that's used by many clients.

Hope that helps.

Duncan
  • 3. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    991212 Newbie
    Thank you for the information Duncan, but i didn't get "Putting a mobile layer on top of a specific component", do you mean can we develop app for a specific module / component for PeopleSoft ?

Regards,
    DMAC
  • 4. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    628269 Newbie
    Yes, I just meant exposing a component (or a set of components) with a nice mobile layer on top. So the data entered via the mobile device goes in through the same PeopleSoft component. Mobile users wouldn't see the other components that you don't intend to expose.

Duncan
  • 5. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    991212 Newbie
    Duncan - That's really sounds interesting, is there any resource provided online or can you guide me through some links where I can get some more information how we can do that.

Regards,
    DMAC
  • 6. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    jim.marion Pro
    I'm not aware of many good online resources that tell you how to create your own mobile app from a PeopleSoft Component, but I can give you an overview of what it takes.

There are a couple of options:

#1 You can use CI based web services to generate a WSDL for a component. Then you can use any development tool to consume the WSDL and create a mobile application. If you have a .net development team, then .net would be an approach. If you have Ruby developers, then they might prefer ruby/rails. If you have a Java team, then JDeveloper's web service data control and ADF drag/drop development is one method. My book has a chapter that shows how to do this. This is also the approach taken by the mobile inventory application available with PeopleSoft.

#2 You can use iScripts or REST based services to serve a mobile application directly from PeopleSoft or Integration Broker. The new mobile company directory, mobile approvals, etc use the iScripts approach. This approach allows you to write PeopleCode to send/receive data from/to a CI. You use HTML definitions for forms/HTML, etc. It is not drag and drop, but often gives you a very nice mobile UI because you can easily use jQuery mobile to create the user interface.

Both options 1 and 2 are for web based mobile apps.

#3 Create device specific mobile apps that use CI based web services or other PeopleSoft non-CI web services that use CI's on their OnRequest handlers. This is the approach taken by the older iPhone iReceipts expenses application.

Basically, PeopleSoft applications provide the backend infrastructure/plumbing and it is up to you and your team to decide what approach works best for you. It is very flexible.
  • 7. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    991212 Newbie
    Thank you Jim, the information was really helpful, I am a newbie in Android app development so want to try building an App for creating requisition for PeopleSoft, will give it a try.

Regards,
    DMAC
  • 8. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    user10656964 Newbie
    Hiii Jim,

We have created a mobile app for self services by using CI. And it is working nice. Now my question is can we resale this app in the open market? is there any license implication?. I have two good resources for Android and iOS technologies , and always think on this option.. I mean creating a Mobile app and sale it
  • 9. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    jim.marion Pro
    I am glad you have it working. That is great!

In regards to licensing for resale, I know a lot of people sell mobile apps and other custom content/collateral through consulting engagements. I really don't know what is required to make this happen. You might contact one of the other mobile app sellers, such as Grey Heller to see if there are any licensing requirements.
  • 10. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    user10656964 Newbie
    Ok, thanks a lot Jim.Sure I will contact them
  • 11. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    user10594123 Newbie
    I search on net and found that not every component is fit to be used as component interface. PO & Vouchers are large components with a lot of entry fields and consist of several pages, which would make the web service request huge and complex.And I am only talking about entry, not talking about the approval of submitting/matching.Also be aware of that PeopleCode sometimes will not execute when called from a Component Interface, usually think time functions.

Meaning PeopleCode can execute differently when called from a Component Interface.

If you want to create mobile pages, you should have as less as possible data entry fields, especially if you also want to enable it on cell phones.

For example, try entering a PO/Voucher from your tabled and notice the difference/discomfort compared to a PC.

That is why PeopleSoft has developed Mobile Expenses and Approvals, with minimum data entry, using iScripts that can call Component Interfaces for data entry and jQuery for styling it for Mobile. Also, we can also create mobile solutions for PeopleSoft with Oracle ADF (Mobile), as mentioned for Mobile Inventory.

So, to overcome all, Oracle is pleased to announce the release of new applications, PeopleSoft Mobile Expenses and PeopleSoft Mobile Approvals, which are now generally available in PeopleSoft FSCM 9.1. These are the first two of many upcoming applications designed and built to cater directly to the mobile workforce by providing user-friendly access to key business functions on a smartphone or tablet.
  • 12. Re: Mobility for PeopleSoft?
    user10656964 Newbie
    "So, to overcome all, Oracle is pleased to announce the release of new applications, PeopleSoft Mobile Expenses and PeopleSoft Mobile Approvals, which are now generally available in PeopleSoft FSCM 9.1. These are the first two of many upcoming applications designed and built to cater directly to the mobile workforce by providing user-friendly access to key business functions on a smartphone or tablet."

I believe these apps are HTML 5 based not Native Mobile OS.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points