This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 9:05 AM by 988191 RSS

Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+

988191 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When I open a console on the OVM 3.2.1 manager, my VNC viewer opens but I am not getting any data. I have tried multiple configurations of JAVA, VNC Viewers, and browsers. I have allowed the VNC Viewer access to all ports and even tried disabling the firewall.

System:
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bits

Attempted Configurations:
JAVA - Tried JAVA 7u9,11,15,17 & JAVA 6u31,33,35,37
Browsers- Firefox and Chrome
VNC- RealVNC 5.0.x (all versions), RealVNC 4.1.3, TightVNC Viewer
Firewall- Disabled
Proxy - Disabled (Both in JAVA and the browser)

This is the output on one of my attempts using JAVA 6u35 and RealVNC. When I tried JAVA 7u9+ with the most current version of RealVNC or TightVNC I get this same output sans the JAVA version. Again the VNC Viewer opens when JAVA WS executes the RAS_PROXY file but I do not get any data.

Java Web Start 1.6.0_35
Using JRE version 1.6.0_35-b10 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\myself
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
0-5: set trace level to <n>
Mar 21, 2013 9:52:38 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet startListening
INFO: RAS proxy listening on /127.0.0.1:63110
Mar 21, 2013 9:52:38 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.vnc.LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher launchCommand
INFO: Launching cmd "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC Viewer\vncviewer.exe" 127.0.0.1:63110
Mar 21, 2013 9:52:39 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.ProxyThread setupSSL
INFO: DONE SSL Handshaking

Edited by: 985188 on Mar 25, 2013 9:14 AM
  • 1. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    998369 Newbie
    I was having the same issue... restarting the hosts worked for me
  • 2. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    user12273962 Pro
    Do you have tightvnc load on your VM Manager?
  • 3. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    988191 Newbie
    Yes. VNC is installed on the OVM Manager. My colleague can get a console running Windows XP, unfortunately that co-worker is the only one.
  • 4. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    user12273962 Pro
    I'm running win 7 64 bit and it works fine for me.

It will not work with Java 7. Though I have gotten it to work with Java 7.1 but they have changed something in Java 7.2 and later that causes it to fail. Offically....you must use java 6. Don't ask me why Oracle drops support for Java 6 and then requires you to use it for the VM Manager. Seems silly to me.

Do you have java 7 still loaded? If so, remove it. Delete the program folder path and make sure you're using Java 6.
  • 5. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    988191 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. My first post showed the results with JAVA 6u37. It did not work unfortunatley. I believe the recommended JAVA with OVM 3.2.1 according to the documentation was 7u9+. Below is the readout with running JAVA 7u11. Again, it does not work as the SSL handshake works and the ovm_rasproxy launches RealVNC viewer but I get no data, just a black screen.

Java Web Start 10.11.2.21
    Using JRE version 1.7.0_11-b21 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
    User home directory = C:\Users\myself
    c: clear console window
    f: finalize objects on finalization queue
    g: garbage collect
    h: display this help message
    m: print memory usage
    o: trigger logging
    p: reload proxy configuration
    q: hide console
    r: reload policy configuration
    s: dump system and deployment properties
    t: dump thread list
    v: dump thread stack
    0-5: set trace level to <n>
         Match: beginTraversal
    Match: digest selected JREDesc: JREDesc[version 1.5+, heap=-1--1, args=null, href=http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se, sel=false, null, null], JREInfo: JREInfo for index 0:
    platform is: 1.7
    product is: 1.7.0_11
    location is: http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se
    path is: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
    args is: null
    native platform is: Windows, amd64 [ x86_64, 64bit ]
    JavaFX runtime is: JavaFX 2.2.4 found at C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\
    enabled is: true
    registered is: true
    system is: true

Match: ignoring maxHeap: -1
         Match: ignoring InitHeap: -1
         Match: digesting vmargs: null
         Match: digested vmargs: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: JVM args after accumulation: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: digest LaunchDesc: https://host:7002/ovm/rasproxy/ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp?vmachineId=0004fb000006000078d8756992b57713&service=null&sessionId=0c7d345d-cc89-4a7c-8e99-f50b5701dd30
         Match: digest properties: []
         Match: JVM args: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: endTraversal ..
         Match: JVM args final:
         Match: Running JREInfo Version match: 1.7.0.11 == 1.7.0.11
         Match: Running JVM args match: have:<> satisfy want:<>
    Mar 21, 2013 11:43:56 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet startListening
    INFO: RAS proxy listening on /127.0.0.1:49629
    Mar 21, 2013 11:43:56 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.vnc.LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher launchCommand
    INFO: Launching cmd "C:\Program Files (x86)\RealVNC\VNC4\vncviewer.exe" 127.0.0.1:49629
    Mar 21, 2013 11:43:56 AM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.ProxyThread setupSSL
    INFO: DONE SSL Handshaking

Edited by: 985188 on Mar 21, 2013 11:53 AM
  • 6. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    972100 Newbie
    In my case Java 6u37 work fine with ovs 3.1 and 3.2
    My suggestion delete all version of Java, delete Java folders and etc., then reboot you PC and try again install Java 6u37.
    Do not install different version of Java. Only one version must be on your PC.
    P.S.
    Delete Java plugins in Firefox.
    I am use VNC viewer 5.0.1
    I spent 2 days on this sh*t
  • 7. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    user12273962 Pro
    I check on the java version requirement it does require java 6 as stated in the documentation. I didn't think they had changed that requirement. Java 7 is supported on MAC but not on PC.

In order for the console applets to work properly, it is essential that a Java Runtime Environment is
    installed on the client system. Oracle recommends that you install the Oracle Java SE6 Update 35 for the
    most consistent and reliable behavior. For users accessing Oracle VM Manager from Mac OS X systems,
    Java SE7 Update 9 is recommended. You can download either of these Java Runtime Environments from
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.
    Some browsers allow you to disable Java applets and Javascript within the browser preferences. It is
    important that the use of these commonly used web features is permitted in order for the Oracle VM
    Manager and its console applets to function.
    Oracle VM Server for x86 Console
    Some browsers include a built-in 'Popup Blocker'. When you first attempt to open a console, the browser
    may notify you that a popup window has been blocked. In order to allow the console to open successfully
    in future, you should add the IP address or URL of the Oracle VM Manager host to the allowed list in the
    popup blocker management dialog.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35328_01/E35332/E35332.pdf

I suspect that you're having a browser issue.

For users of Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 7 and up, it is important that you adjust your security
    settings to include the URL for your Oracle VM Manager instance within your Trusted Sites, and to ensure
    that the security level for Trusted Sites is set to Low. Some of Internet Explorer's default security settings
    prevent the application from opening the Java applet.
  • 8. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    988191 Newbie
    It's not a pop-up blocker. That is an obvious step. rasproxy would not even download without a pop-up blocker.
  • 9. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    user12273962 Pro
    If you save the .jnlp.... can you open it from the download location? If you can't, then maybe you don't have javaws associated with the .jnlp file extension.
  • 10. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    972100 Newbie
    Are you read this?

*8.1.5. Guest VM Console May Not Work On Oracle Linux or Windows Client*
    The Guest VM Console accessible from Oracle VM Manager may not work properly for particular versions
    of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in conjunction with some web browsers and operating systems.
    The JRE that has been shown to work most consistently is Java SE6 Update 35. On some systems other
    versions of the JRE may function as well.
    Workaround:While it is possible to run concurrent versions of the JRE, it is recommended that to use
    the Guest VM Console in Oracle VM Manager, you completely remove any previously installed JRE along
    with any downloaded certificates or temporary files before installing the Java SE6 Update 35 from http://
    www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.htmlon the client desktop computer that you
    are using to access Oracle VM Manager.
    Bug 14497293 and Bug 14276511

*8.1.6. Packages to be Installed on Oracle VM Manager to Enable Guest Serial Console and*
    VNC Console.
    RPM Packages are available to ensure the correct functioning of the Guest Serial Console and the VNC
    Console within Oracle VM Manager when accessing virtual machines. These packages must be installed
    on the Oracle VM Manager host. The packages that must be installed are the TightVNC package which
    provides VNC access to the guest virtual machine, and the JTA package which is used to provide serial
    console access to the guest virtual machine.
    VNC access is only available for x86 guests. Serial console access is available for both x86 and SPARC
    guests.
    Packages are available at Oracle's public yum server:
    • TightVNC (Oracle Linux 5): http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/EnterpriseLinux/EL5/addons/x86_64/
    tightvnc-java-1.3.9-4.noarch.rpm
    • TightVNC (Oracle Linux 6): http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/addons/x86_64/tightvnc-java-1.3.9-4.noarch.rpm
    • JTA (Oracle Linux 5): http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/EnterpriseLinux/EL5/addons/x86_64/
    jta-2.6-1.noarch.rpm
    • JTA (Oracle Linux 6): http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/addons/x86_64/
    jta-2.6-1.noarch.rpm
    Bug 14395338

Edited by: 969097 on 25.03.2013 0:55
  • 11. Re: Cannot launch console on OVM 3.2.1. Attempted with JAVA6u31+ and JAVA 7u9+
    988191 Newbie
    JAVA 6u35 was tried. Also installed tighvnc and JTA on the OVM manager a while back.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points