This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 7:37 AM by 998534 RSS

Java is very slow on terminal servers

998534 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, we have several terminal servers for clients. But running Java (JRE) on a bank website, is very slow to load the Java plugin. So the whole login takes around 1-2mins to complete.

We run Windows Server 2008 R2 which is virtualized with VMWare, we run the latest Java client v7 Update 17. Java has always been slow on these servers, is there a way to teak it somewho, so it loads faster?
  • 1. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    gimbal2 Guru
    You'd have to ask the people who setup the environment. Its not a problem with the runtime as in the rest of the world Java is lightning fast. For all we know the setup is ludicrous and it goes into the swap from moment 0. Or network packets are looping through 6 servers. Or the virtualized IO is squeezed so badly that it takes ages to load stuff from it. Or a malware scanner is scanning each and every file loaded by the runtime. Or it is setup with only 5% CPU time. Etc. etc. etc.
  • 2. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    EJP Guru
    Java certainly doesn't know it's running on a terminal server. So it can't be Java.
  • 3. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    998534 Newbie
    Its me who have setup the whole server, but users experience really that Java starts really slow when they try to login on their bank on the web.

Well, I then have to look for some performance issues that might cause it to load so slowly.
  • 4. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    gimbal2 Guru
    WoOber wrote:
    Its me who have setup the whole server, but users experience really that Java starts really slow when they try to login on their bank on the web.
    And how is that login done? In an applet? Because then the performance issue is on their own computer in their own private installations of browsers and Java runtimes, not your terminal. Applets tend to load 'slowly', especially on older versions of Java. The feeling of slowness tends to be because people compare the loading time to Flash, a completely different beast.
  • 5. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    998534 Newbie
    They load the bank webpage in Internet Explorer 9, then the Java applet loads the login dialog box on the terminal server. The time until this applet loads is the issue, even to login also take very long time, it can take 1-2 minutes to load the Java applet.
  • 6. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    gimbal2 Guru
    WoOber wrote:
    They load the bank webpage in Internet Explorer 9, then the Java applet loads the login dialog box on the terminal server.
    I don't get that. Applets execute on the local machine, not on an external machine. The may load the applet FROM the terminal server, but that is only a simple download of a file so it can execute locally. If that is slow you really should check your firewalls and such.
  • 7. Re: Java is very slow on terminal servers
    998534 Newbie
    Well, this is a terminal server that the user login to, all applications is runned in the terminal server session that the user has to the server, using RDP.

I have not this issue on my local machine running Windows 7, the problem seems to be on the terminal server where the Java applet runs. Ofcourse there can be many issues causing it to go so slowly.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points