This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 11:13 PM by ryansun RSS

Possible bug ? - Default value for select list

ryansun Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I have one page with a couple of reports. I have a time period filter on top. Its a select list with values 7 days, 3 months and 12 months. Default value is set to 3 (where return values of select list is 1,2,3 resp).

Now in page 1 which has this select list, :P1_SELECT it has a report which shows counts of number of items purchased. When the user clicks on the count(hyperlinked column), it takes the user to another page which runs the details of the items and also uses the Page 1 select. It works fine when I change the time period. However, if I dont change the time period in the select list when I first login, althought I have set the default value to 3, the interactive report on page shows no data found, because the select list default value I guess it does not recognize.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Sunil
  • 1. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    VC Guru
    ryansun wrote:

Hi, I have one page with a couple of reports. I have a time period filter on top. Its a select list with values 7 days, 3 months and 12 months. Default value is set to 3 (where return values of select list is 1,2,3 resp).

Now in page 1 which has this select list, :P1_SELECT it has a report which shows counts of number of items purchased. When the user clicks on the count(hyperlinked column), it takes the user to another page which runs the details of the items and also uses the Page 1 select. It works fine when I change the time period. However, if I dont change the time period in the select list when I first login, althought I have set the default value to 3, the interactive report on page shows no data found, because the select list default value I guess it does not recognize.

Is this a bug?
    NO.

Default values is only populated on the clien side and NOT in the session.

This has been discussed thousands of times in the forum..found this with a simple search {message:id=4440597}
  • 2. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    ryansun Newbie
    Hi VC,

So that thread is for LOV based select lists. What about static lists? How can we set the return value?
    thanks
  • 3. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    VC Guru
    ryansun wrote:
    Hi VC,

So that thread is for LOV based select lists. What about static lists? How can we set the return value?
    Even static lists does have a return value..

Basically use the same logic that you were using in the item default > in your computation to set the session state
  • 4. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    ryansun Newbie
    Hi VC,

Did not get it. Are you saying, we populate the default value in a on load before header page process?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • 5. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    fac586 Guru
    ryansun wrote:

Did not get it. Are you saying, we populate the default value in a on load before header page process?
    Or in a computation. The default value property in the item definition sets the value of the item control rendered in the page, not the value in session state. To use the value during page show it must be set in session state prior to being referenced, using a computation, process, or by via a branch or link.
  • 6. Re: Possible bug ? - Default value for select list
    ryansun Newbie
    Thanks fac586!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points