5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 10:39 PM by Billy~Verreynne RSS

Import Oracle Form to MS Access

Hello frnz,

I m new comer in the Oracle world. I see everywhere Oracle take the place, So I try to know abt this. I m in MIS Dept.

In my company (Clifton Group a big Company on Garments sector) every month we recruit many employee. The personnel dept. entry there Name, Father Name, Mother Name, Age, Dept, Section, Joining Date etc. in Excel file & send me the hard copy.

In our database made by Oracle I also entry there all this things.

My Question is??

If we make a MS Access form for our personnel dept & they entry on this form & export data on txt format, Can I upload this txt file to my DB???

Can I import my Employment entry form which made my Oracle to Access????

pls help me.....
        • 1. Re: Import Oracle Form to MS Access
          TSharma-Oracle
          YES,using one of Oracle's sql loader utility. Also using sql developer tool , You can take the Excel file soft copy and can directly load into the oracle database. Check the docs.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/part_ldr.htm
          http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL*Loader_FAQ
          http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/04/how-to-import-from-excel-to-oracle-with-sql-developer/
          • 2. Re: Import Oracle Form to MS Access
            sb92075
            995773 wrote:
            Hello frnz,

I m new comer in the Oracle world. I see everywhere Oracle take the place, So I try to know abt this. I m in MIS Dept.

In my company (Clifton Group a big Company on Garments sector) every month we recruit many employee. The personnel dept. entry there Name, Father Name, Mother Name, Age, Dept, Section, Joining Date etc. in Excel file & send me the hard copy.
            On PC running EXCEL you can install Oracle client software; then using ODBC Excel can connect directly to Oracle DB & issue SQL against Oracle DB.
            • 3. Re: Import Oracle Form to MS Access
              Yes you can,

Infact you have two alternatives

1. Either you can export from MS Access this is how you do it
              1.1. create a Data source name (DSN) going to control panel > administrative tools > Data Sources (ODBC) ---- if you have never created any before google a little about it
              1.2. open the table of your form in MS Access and right click it --- then select export ---- then select to ODBC database ---- then select the DSN that u created above and export

2. Downloand SQLDeveloper from oracle site
              2.1. open it and connect to your database using sqldeveloper
              2.2. under your database connections...select the table sub menu and right click it
              3.3. use the import menu item and follow the wizard to import
              • 4. Re: Import Oracle Form to MS Access
                Vite DBA
                Hi,

I believe that one of the main functions of IT in a business is to enable the business to do their job as efficiently and accurately as possible, not to do their work for them. Having the business enter data into a spreadsheet which is then manually entered to a database is neither accurate or efficient, and automating the upload of data at your end is only a slight improvement. In this case, I would be looking to give your personel department some form of direct access to the database and cut out the middle man, and save you a lot of work in the long run.

Unfortunately, you haven't specified the Oracle database environment you are loading data into EG E-business suite, Peoplesoft, inhouse etc. but would it be possible to give the users access to the frontend that accesses this database. If that is not possible, can you write your own app that can satisfy this business case. A good tool for doing this is Application Express.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/overview/index.html

Another alternative, though less desirable, is to build an application in MS Access that uses your oracle database accessed through ODBC.

Hope this helps

Andre
                • 5. Re: Import Oracle Form to MS Access
                  Billy~Verreynne
                  My recommendations:

DO NOT USE MS ACCESS AS AN ORACLE CLIENT!

Numerous reasons from flexibility, manageability, to performance and security.

USE <a href="http://apex.oracle.com">APPLICATION EXPRESS</a> (APEX).

Apex is basically a MS-Access version for Oracle that runs via thin client-server. The client is a web browser. Nothing more needed. Apex supports creating data entry input forms and reports. It is easy enough for a newcomer to use that has next to no experience of web-based client-server. It handles state and security for you. It is also flexible and powerful enough for a web developer to develop Web 2.0 applications with rich user interfaces, using HTML5, JQuery, ExtJS, and so on.

Apex is free. Is included with the RDBMS software (installs by default). New versions/upgrades are available for free. Users only need a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Operah, IE) to use an Apex application.

Compare this to MS Access that needs a license, only supports Windows users, and need a working Oracle client driver installation and a correctly configured Oracle ODBC driver.