This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 12:41 AM by Christian Erlinger RSS

set path dynamically for oracle forms executables

998525 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
we are trying to develop and development oracle forms application (Fusion 11.1.1.4) in a linux PC.
But we want to setup in such a way that.Once the user logs in it will do the following things.

1. It will log in and get the directory name from from a table.let's Assume the directory name is "A"
2.First it will search for executable in directory "A" if it's not there it will serach the executable in Forms_path .Let's assume it "B"
3. while executing the form if you encounter a form "c.fmx" that is present in both the directories i.e. "A", "B". Then it will pick the executable "A".

Any help will be highly appriciated.
  • 1. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    GregorM Explorer
    Hi.

Don't believe this is possible at least in multi user environment, because multiple users read configuration simultaneous. That means changing configuration by one user breaks configuration for other users. What I could think of now is :
    1. create default.env configuration file for every user. You could extend this idea to have one default.env template from which you can dynamically create environment files for each user after logon based on his/her settings.
    2. Use absolute path when calling form but the problem with this approach are the libraries attached to those forms.

Best regards.
  • 2. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    Sounds rather complicated...what problem are you trying to solve?

cheers
  • 3. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    998525 Newbie
    Thanks Gregor and Christian Erlinger!!!
    I really appreciate both of you for coming forward and sharing your valuable comments.

Gregor ,
    Having different env file and different configuration section is not an option as we are targeting to have single env with one customed .env file and the reply i got from oracle is

"This can be done using coding inside forms. Generally we do not support coding issues or develop coding.
    We can try our level best to give you ideas on this."

and oracle won't provide any coding solution.

Christian Erlinger,

I am trying to control the paths of form executable based on who has logged in to the system.
  • 4. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    GregorM Explorer
    Hi.

I am completely aware of what you are trying to achieve here. The real problem is the environment is set as soon as the user calls URL of your application. That means there is no user logged in yet. Regarding all the restrictions you mentioned my best advise would be you (or your boss) will have to be less restrictive and more pragmatic. What you are trying to achieve with all restrictions you mentioned is not supported out of the box.

My practice is to always have one env file for each application. This way I am completely flexible on application level. To ensure flexibility on user level I believe you will have to do it programmaticaly.

Best regards.
  • 5. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    Maybe you can tell what exactly is user-specific. I is just one or two forms? Or all forms? And, what inthis forms is different? the where-conditions of the query?
  • 6. Re: set path dynamically for oracle forms executables
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    995522 wrote:
    Christian Erlinger,

I am trying to control the paths of form executable based on who has logged in to the system.
    Sounds to me that you are trying to implement some kind of access control? Why not control access to the underlying objects/data? This would affect not only your forms but every application accessing your database...

cheers

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points