This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 2:48 AM by pbell RSS

Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?

Kiran Mundy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Two questions:
1. I'd like to place some material in a publicly accessible spot and invite customers to comment on it. I will not know in advance which customers will choose to comment. Would it make more sense to use the "public" setting on a regular beehive workspace for this, rather than beehive online..?

2. I tried using the "public" setting. To test it, I tried logging in as a test otn user (that I registered for this purpose). When trying to access the workspace as the otn test user, I get a 403 forbidden message.
  • 1. Re: Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?
    pbell Pro
    Hi,

Firstly, there is no "Public" access to a beehive resource on any implementation. The Public in this case is the logged in user of the system so anyone accessing the content will have to have an account on the system and log in first.

Access to Public documents for example is via the URL of a specific document - there is no browse capability . We have tightened up security on BeehiveOnline and sometimes the Public areas needs a tweak to get it operational - try using a document url and if that fails let me know the Workspace/folder and I can check the Access controls on the folder and set them accordingly.

Phil
  • 2. Re: Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?
    Kiran Mundy Newbie
    Thanks Phil, some follow ups to make sure I completely understand.

Firstly, there is no "Public" access to a beehive resource on any implementation. The Public in this case is the logged in user of the system so anyone accessing the content will have to have an account on the system and log in first.
    When you say "logged in user", does it mean an oracle employee, or can it be an OTN logged in user?
    Access to Public documents for example is via the URL of a specific document - there is no browse capability . We have tightened up security on BeehiveOnline and sometimes the Public areas needs a tweak to get it operational - try using a document url and if that fails let me know the Workspace/folder and I can check the Access controls on the folder and set them accordingly.
    Is access to a wiki page (within the workspace) via a url possible? The idea is for them to view the diagram there and enter comments. Ideally to also access some document folders (perhaps via url's embedded into the wiki) and make updates to the documents.
  • 3. Re: Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?
    pbell Pro
    Hi,

Logged in means logged into the beehive instance - they have to be registered as users and have a valid login to the system - stbeehive or BeehiveOnline - if they have an account and are provisioned they can log in and access public documents if given the URL.

Access to Wiki pages is available if you enable the complete Workspace for public access via the Settings area - you can give everyone a Workspace-reviewer role and they can access the complete workspace - including Wiki pages if they are told where it is - this is opening the system up wider than normal so care should be taken to control the content being potentially seen by all users via search for example.

Phil
  • 4. Re: Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?
    246894 Newbie
    Hi,

Please let me know how to make all emplyees who have beehive accounts to be able to access some folders.

To save files in the "Public Documents" folder seems not enough.
    And I checked "Public access" of the "Settings" but employees still cannot access.

Regards,

Kazuo Shinohara
  • 5. Re: Collaborating with customers - beehive online vs "public" setting..?
    pbell Pro
    Kazuo,

Depends on what you mean by "all employees who have beehive accounts" - this should have an additional piece, i.e. ...on the system containing the content. BeehiveOnline is a restricted system so users have to be explicitly invited to be provisioned into the system. stbeehive is the internal system and everybody is on there.

If these are BeehiveOnline users and there is still a problem send me the Workspace name and I wills et the ACLs as they need to be to allow access.

Phil

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points