9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 3:56 AM by Paul M. RSS

Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8

user13360241
      Hi,
      I download 64-bit version of Oracle11gR2 and tried to install on windows 8 64-bit version OS; When i clicked on setup, it opens Oracle Universal Installer command prompt for few second then suddenly disappears and after that no other windows open to process for further installation. I tried to install several times but results same.

I have watched several videos on YouTube to install Oracle11gR2 64-bit on Windows 8 64-bit. Its possible to install on Windows 8 but no officially support from Oracle corporation on this version Windows 8 OS.

Please let me know what's the reason that why I could not install Oracle11gR2 64-bit on Windows 8 64-bit.

Thanks.

Best Regards
      Syed Arshad
        • 2. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
          EdStevens
          user13360241 wrote:
          Hi,
          I download 64-bit version of Oracle11gR2 and tried to install on windows 8 64-bit version OS; When i clicked on setup, it opens Oracle Universal Installer command prompt for few second then suddenly disappears and after that no other windows open to process for further installation. I tried to install several times but results same.

I have watched several videos on YouTube to install Oracle11gR2 64-bit on Windows 8 64-bit. Its possible to install on Windows 8 but no officially support from Oracle corporation on this version Windows 8 OS.

Please let me know what's the reason that why I could not install Oracle11gR2 64-bit on Windows 8 64-bit.
          The first thing that comes to mind is that Oracle11gR2 64-bit is not certified on Windows 8 64-bit.
          >
          Thanks.

Best Regards
          Syed Arshad
          • 3. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;

1. Its not certified as mention
            2. Similar issue mention here many times,please use search mechanisim
            3. if you make some googling you can find link&blog which is mention to create WM machine, install linux(you can use OEL linux which is free and can be download from e-delivery site) than you can make 11g installation on it

Regard
            Helios
            • 4. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
              Hi,

Not officially supported but Oracle11gR2 64-bit seems to work on Windows 8 64-bit.
              It depends on your needs. You can try but verify if you have enough RAM and disk space as required in the Installation Guide. You can also stop some applications and services you don't need before installation.
              Jdk is installed with the Oracle package. If you already have a jvm on your machine, you can also uninstall it first.

Hope that help.
              Regards,
              Ttd

P.S : I have 4Gb RAM

Edited by: user469717 on Mar 25, 2013 2:37 PM

Edited by: user469717 on Mar 25, 2013 2:46 PM
              • 5. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
                KR10822864
                As srini said oracle 11gr2 64 bit is not certified for win8 64 bit...

have you checked user/folder permissions....?if not please check it.

Edited by: KR10822864 on Mar 26, 2013 8:42 AM
                • 6. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
                  user13360241

Hi,

Coming back after 4 months. 

Current oracle version download is (11.2.0.1.0) . Is it support to Windows 8 64-bit or not.

I have seen a new edition called Oracle Database 12c Release 1(12.1.0.1.0). Can this will support to windows 8 64-bit.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
                    Asif Muhammad

Hi,

Windows 8 is not yet certified on 11g. The latest windows version certified is Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 8. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
                      Paul M.

Current oracle version download is (11.2.0.1.0) . Is it support to Windows 8 64-bit or not.

I have seen a new edition called Oracle Database 12c Release 1(12.1.0.1.0). Can this will support to windows 8 64-bit.

From MOS Certifications :

Oracle Database 11.2.0.3.0 is not certified on Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) 8

(for 11.2.0.1.0 Windows 8 doesn't even show within choices)

Oracle Database 12.1.0.1.0 is certified on Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) 8

• 9. Re: Cannot install Oracle11gR2 on Windows 8
                        EdStevens

user13360241 wrote:

Hi,

Coming back after 4 months.

Thanks.

Oddly enough, the Insallation Guide lists all the pre-reqs for installation, including the supported OSs

Go to docs.oracle.com

Drill down to your selected product and version

Open the "Installing" group.

Open the Database Installation Guide

Click on the Oracle Database Preinstallation Requirements

Click on the Oracle Database Software Requriements

See the Supported OS's ..... http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

Pay attention to both the 'version' and 'edition'

If it aint' listed, you are on your own.