This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 7:39 AM by TSharma-Oracle RSS

retention policy

941949 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
dear all,
i m a newbie and i need your help,on my production system i have configured RMAN with catalog .i m confused with retention policy,i dunno how many days retention policy i must configured?your help appreciated,thanks.

db:10.2.0.3
  • 1. Re: retention policy
    EdStevens Guru
    938946 wrote:
    dear all,
    i m a newbie and i need your help,on my production system i have configured RMAN with catalog .i m confused with retention policy,i dunno how many days retention policy i must configured?your help appreciated,thanks.

db:10.2.0.3
    retention policy defines the earliest point to which you can recover your database. You configure it for whatever meets your business needs. Some cases may require 7 days. Some may require 30. Some may reqire only to the latest backup regardless of age. No one can answer that question except people in your own organization.
  • 2. Re: retention policy
    J19 Newbie
    Hi

For production you can use retention 28 days(4 weeks) and same non-production you may use 7 days.

Regards,
    Jey
  • 3. Re: retention policy
    FreddieEssex Pro
    Retention policy will need to be defined as per the requirements. Some databases may be 7 days and some might be 1 year in the same organisation. There is no "one size fits all" with regards to retention policy.
  • 4. Re: retention policy
    EdStevens Guru
    Jey A wrote:
    Hi

For production you can use retention 28 days(4 weeks) and same non-production you may use 7 days.

Regards,
    Jey
    Yes, he could. But would that meet HIS organization's business requirements? I doubt it.
  • 5. Re: retention policy
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Like Ed suggested, it would definitely meet your organizations business requirement. A retention policy is a policy that revolves around how long backup sets are kept.
    But You can always send your backups to the tapes after backup has been done on the disk and can delete it from the disks. Tapes are cheap so you can keep backup for a long time in these tapes . In this case it does not matter what retention policy you have for your backup sets because if the backups are available on the tapes, you can always restore and recover your database.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points