This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 8:50 AM by Joel_C RSS

Unique Problem -- I think

wisers Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle 11g
APEX 4.1.0.00.32 (upgrading to 4.2 is not currently an option)

I have a rather unique configuration for APEX right now that is causing an issue, and I was hoping someone may have some thoughts. I have APEX installed on a TEST server, and a PRODUCTION server. These two servers are configured identically. Because of a problem on PROD, I am using APEX on TEST, but have APEX pointing to the PROD database. The end result is that when I log in to apex on TEST, I see the applications that have been created on PROD, and all of the data that is returned by the applications is from PROD. This is not done through a database link. The issue that I am having is this: On any page that has a process, the process that runs is the one stored on TEST, not on PROD. Since when logging into TEST I see the PROD database, I cannot see the process on TEST to change it.

My question therefore is this: Why would apex, installed on TEST but looking at PROD, show me the applications from PROD, the data from PROD, but run the process stored on TEST?

All thoughts are welcomed, because for the foreseeable future I need to keep this configuration.

Bob

I can attempt to provide more information if needed, by our APEX instance is hosted by a 3rd party, so I don't have exact knowledge of how everything is configured.
  • 1. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    Denes Kubicek Oracle ACE Director
    I think the explanaton is a bit confusing and I think some things are not not possible:

1. I am using APEX on TEST, but have APEX pointing to the PROD database... and all of the data that is returned by the applications is from PROD. This is not done through a database link.

How is that possible?

2. On any page that has a process, the process that runs is the one stored on TEST, not on PROD. Since when logging into TEST I see the PROD database, I cannot see the process on TEST to change it.

???

3. My question therefore is this: Why would apex, installed on TEST but looking at PROD, show me the applications from PROD, the data from PROD, but run the process stored on TEST?

I think you should get back to your provider an get a clear explanation on your setup.

Denes Kubicek
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://deneskubicek.blogspot.com/
    http://www.apress.com/9781430235125
    http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=31517:1
    http://www.amazon.de/Oracle-APEX-XE-Praxis/dp/3826655494
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 2. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    wisers Newbie
    Denes,

1. I can't speak to the exact set-up of APEX on our TEST and PROD servers, all I can tell you is that what I stated is true. When logging into the TEST server, I see the PROD database. These are on different physical machines sitting in the same room.

2. I don't know how else to explain it. Apex is installed on TEST and PROD. However, when logging into Apex on TEST I see the PROD database, along with all of the applications, tables, views, sequences, triggers etc that are located on PROD. The same applications reside on TEST as on PROD, and the process on page 15 of my application is running the code stored in the application on TEST and not on PROD, even though the rest of the application is running from PROD. I know this because I can add a page to the application from APEX on TEST, and see it on the PROD database using SQL Developer. However, the new page doesn't show up on the TEST database using SQL Developer. Plus, if I change data in a table on PROD, the application shows the change.

I said it was a unique problem. :-)

Bob
  • 3. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    wisers Newbie
    Bumping this in hope that someone else may have thoughts on this. The basic question I need to answer is this:

From where is a pl/sql page process run in APEX? When logging in to TEST, I see the PROD database. When running the application, I return data from PROD. However, when I fill out a form and click a Submit button in my application, the pl/sql process that runs is the process stored in the application on TEST, not on PROD. I'm trying to figure out why that is happening, and if I can force the process on the PROD database to run.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Bob
  • 4. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    ascheffer Expert
    And what does pressing a button do, call a process url on your TEST machine? I mean with your TEST server name hardcoded in the url.
  • 5. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    wisers Newbie
    The process is an (On Submit -- After Computations and Validations) Process. The Button simply submits the page, there is no call to a URL.

Bob
  • 6. Re: Unique Problem -- I think
    Joel_C Pro
    I wonder if this is maybe related to the {forum:id=858} ? Particularly with the new multiple instance support features?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points