This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 11:30 AM by GustavoErthalJr RSS

OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser

Jerry Wang Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We are using OBIEE 11.1.1.5 and our client would like to use OBIEE in Android tablet. We understand that currently there is no official Android app. So we are trying to use native web browser with flash player installed to log on OBIEE. It looks fine at first glance, but when we scrolled up and down, the flash graph such as bar/pie chart will move along with our moving fingers!

Although the flash graph will return to its correct position once we stop scrolling, it's kind of annoying and our client is not satisfied with this. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is there any other browser that can support OBIEE? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jerry
  • 1. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    998980 Explorer
    Jerry,

I would suggest downloading a new web broser for Android rather than using native one and then try again. Here is a list of 7 good ones:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-browsers-native-android-browser/

I think you might be better off with firefox or chrome.

Pls mark this thread if it helps.
  • 2. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    Jerry Wang Newbie
    Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your response. We had tried Puffin, Chrome, Firefox and Dolphin. Here is the result for your information.

1. Puffin 2.2.4561

Works the best, but it's less intuitive that users have to use virtual mouse pad to scroll up and down, instead of using fingers.

2. Chrome 25.0.1364.172

Unfortunately, Chrome for mobile devices don't support flash anymore. The graph in OBIEE report can't be shown.

3. Firefox 19.0.2

Unfortunately, Firefox 19.0.2 is not supported by OBIEE 11.1.1.5.

4. Dolphin

Same problem as native browser. The flash graph will move when we scroll up and down.

5. Opera Mini

Doesn't support flash.

We will try other browsers such as Maxon and Skyfire listed in the webpage you provided later. If you know any other way to work this around, please kindly let us know. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Jerry
  • 3. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    998980 Explorer
    Jerry,

I think you need to come out of flash, since you are looking at mobile content delivery. I belive thats what the Oracle BI App also does. However in your case you might have to disable flash for graphs for entire server so that it works on android device. 11g allows you to set graphs in static images instead of flash graphs, although look and feel on desktop will also change. Modify the following section in instanceconfig.xml and change the DefaultImageType to png and then try again:

<ServerInstance>
    <Views>
    <Charts>
    <EmbedFonts>True</EmbedFonts>
    <SectionSliderDefault>5</SectionSliderDefault>
    <SectionSliderLimit>10</SectionSliderLimit>
    <DefaultImageType>png</DefaultImageType>
    <FlashCodeBase>\\CORPORATE\Download\Flash</FlashCodeBase>
    <FlashCLSID>E38CDB6E-BA6D-21CF-96B8-432553540000</FlashCLSID>
    </Charts>
    </Views>
    </ServerInstance>

More info:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14571_01/bi.1111/e10541/answersconfigset.htm#CIHCGDEJ
  • 4. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    Jerry Wang Newbie
    Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. We followed the suggestion to modify the XML, but the BIEE services can't be started afterward.
    We will do some researches to let the XML thing work and let you know if the problem is solved! Thanks. :)

Jerry
  • 5. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    998980 Explorer
    Oh, im sorry about that. Im sure it should work. Try to set following in <Server Instance> section of instanceconfig.xml (instead of big code earlier)

<Charts>
    <DefaultImageType>PNG</DefaultImageType>
    </Charts>

If you can, send me the error you get.

Also search for this property in MBean browser within enterprise manager.

If this thing works, you also have an option of setting up a seperate presentation server, just to cater to mobile users. That way you can leave flash for desktop users, and disable flash for mobile users.
  • 6. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    Jerry Wang Newbie
    Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. We found the reason why it's not working. In the official document, it says we should paste the following codes in the instanceconfig.xml.

<DefaultImageType>png</DefaultImageType>

But in fact, the correct codes is :

<DefaultWebImageType>png</DefaultWebImageType>

Hope this information can help others facing the same problem. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

Edited by: Jerry Wang on Apr 10, 2013 4:50 PM

Edited by: Jerry Wang on Apr 10, 2013 4:52 PM
  • 7. Re: OBIEE 11.1.1.5 in Android tablet browser
    GustavoErthalJr Newbie

Hi,

Can you tell me the way I can have two separate Presentation Servers?

Regards,

Gustavo

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points