2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 9:28 AM by jnojr RSS

Jave 7 is installed, apps still looking for Java 6

jnojr
      An app that requires Java, upon launch, kicks off Software Update and prompts me to install Apple's Java 6 I've fiddled around with java_home, $JAVA_HOME, installed JDK 7, fiddled with symlinks... what is necessary to get a Mac to forget about Java 6 and just use Java 7?
        • 1. Re: Jave 7 is installed, apps still looking for Java 6
          gimbal2
          jnojr wrote:
          An app that requires Java, upon launch, kicks off Software Update and prompts me to install Apple's Java 6 I've fiddled around with java_home, $JAVA_HOME, installed JDK 7, fiddled with symlinks... what is necessary to get a Mac to forget about Java 6 and just use Java 7?
          Seems like its the application in question that is the source of the problem. Java 7 isn't just an update of Java 6 - its a completely new version of Java and the application may not be compatible with it. You'll have to ask the people distributing the particular application for tech support - if you even need it because it is perfectly legal to have both Java 6 and 7 installed. On any other platform at least, I'm not familiar with Mac.
          • 2. Re: Jave 7 is installed, apps still looking for Java 6
            jnojr
            Understood. But this implies that every application that wants Java on the Mac had to be rewritten when Oracle's Java 7 was released. This wasn't the case for Windows or Linux. Why is it that on Macs, Java must now be in a place where no existing app could know where it is? Why does it not respect JAVA_HOME? Why does it not use variables and/or symlinks to provide a "seamless" install? I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that Apple did some silly things with their implementation of Java that caused the problems. But how is ANYONE able to get Java apps working if this is some kind of ephemeral mystery?