This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 3:35 AM by Sunny kichloo RSS

Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?

999702 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
As i am very interested in taking the Oracle 10g Certification Program , I would like to know the procedure to attend the OCP exams .

Here are my few queries.

1)What is Oracle Registration ?

2)Is it possible to attend OCP exams without being registered to ?

3) Do i need to attend training center for OCP exams in order to attend exams ?

I would be very grateful , if somebody answer my above queries.
  • 1. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    Have you done your OCA Certifications first.

If it is done then you can apply for OCP and You have to do attend training also along with one exam for OCP

Check this

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:Datab11g
  • 2. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    999702 Newbie
    No , i haven't done OCA Certification. Is it mandatory to attend OCA first for OCP or Can i directly apply for OCP Exam ?
  • 3. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    matthew_morris Expert
    1)What is Oracle Registration ?
    Your question isn't really clear. There isn't really something called 'Oracle Registration'. You register for exams with Pearson Vue. When you register for the first one, you will get an Oracle Testing ID. Prior to taking exams, you should create a Certview account (using the center option of the below URL). This will allow you to retrieve your test scores. Authenticating the account sometimes takes a couple of days, so you really don't want to wait until after you take the exam -- otherwise you won't know if you passed or failed until account creation is complete.

https://education.oracle.com/pls/eval-eddap-dcd/ocp_interface.ocp_candidate_login?p_include=Y&p_org_id=1001&p_lang=US
    2)Is it possible to attend OCP exams without being registered to ?
    Registered to what? You have to schedule the exam with Pearson Vue, so you must register with them. You can take it before creating your Certview account, but as indicated above, you won't get your scores until the Certview account is created.

3) Do i need to attend training center for OCP exams in order to attend exams ?
    You can attend exams without training. Some OCP certifications, like the DBA track, require attending an instructor-led course as one of the parts of the certification. You can take the tests first and the training afterward... but you won't get the certificate until the training is complete.
    Is it mandatory to attend OCA first for OCP or Can i directly apply for OCP Exam ?
    When there is both an OCA-level and OCP-level certification, the OCA-level is almost always a pre-requisite of the OCP certification. There is one exception that I am aware of in the MySQL certifications. Go to the URL that was supplied in an earlier post and do some reading. These are all basic questions that Oracle has provided answers to on their website.
  • 4. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    As mentioned above for OCP you have to give OCA.
  • 5. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    bigdelboy Pro
    Sunny kichloo wrote:
    IMHO One of the BIG problems with Instruction in India is shorthand and imprecise talk like this.

And as your profile shows you to be an instructor from India I will hold you to task.

And it can severly cause problems in the communications.

( I have nothing against India, the problem occurs elsewhere as well).

The topic is about OCP EXAMS not CERTIFICATIONS and your answer refers to the case with CERTIFICATIONS.

I believe the Original Poster is talking about

Let me put things this way:

The Original poster is talking about the 10g DBA OCP track. For simplicity we will assume he has already passed an SQL exam, let us say 1z0-051 (or it could have been 1z0-007).

The original poster IMHO seems to be asking "can I take the OCP exam (1z0-043)" without having taken(passed) the OCA exam (1z0-042)"

The answer is yes the original post can take and pass the OCP exam (1z0-043) without having passed the OCA exam (1z0-042).
    *BUT: The Original poster will not achieve 10g DBA OCP certification for this .... he has only achieved a 1z0-043 exam pass. Nothing more.*
    Original post will still need to pass 1z0-042 and have attended the correct training and got it verified to get his OCP certification.
  • 6. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    Things stated by you is already stated above by matthew in his thread.

I just replied back to it.

I admit i have to be little most descriptive than what i have written.

Most important is that instead of mentioning something about nation like India you should directly talk to me in a technical way.

There are time in this forum when such mistake happens but it should be solved technically.Nothing wrong in accepting critics of something you have done wrong.
    I saw that but better not start the discussion in that way :-)
  • 7. Re: Do i need to register for OCP Exam or Can i direclty attend OCP Exams ?
    bigdelboy Pro
    Sunny kichloo wrote:
    Things stated by you is already stated above by matthew in his thread.

I just replied back to it.

I admit i have to be little most descriptive than what i have written.

Most important is that instead of mentioning something about nation like India you should directly talk to me in a technical way.

There are time in this forum when such mistake happens but it should be solved technically.Nothing wrong in accepting critics of something you have done wrong.
    I saw that but better not start the discussion in that way :-)
    The problem is that when talking about unqualified 'OCP' or 'OCA' there is a big possibility of mixing up certification and exam entities.

A certification is a certification and an exam is an exam (or perhaps a pseudo-exam like a course verification).

In addition there is not just one 'OCP' certification ... there are many OCP certifications ... MySQL, Solaris, PL/SQL, Java although generally by default when omitted the context is for a DBA certification.

It is also important to note typically exams can be taken in any order, however certifications will not be issued until prerequisites are met.
    ( Possible exception on some special cases : OCM exams and those involving Java written assigments where there may be some form of order).

So when I come to the statement:

I judge that to be incorrect.
    .... and I judge that because I have read it as "Before you give the OCP (1z0-043/053) exam you give the OCA exam (1z0-042/1z0-052) ... which is not true.

However ... given the OP has mentioned he in on DBA track .. and if I read it as 'To gain the (DBA) OCP certification one must have the (DBA) OCA certification as a pre-requisite' there is no problem with the statement .... as the graphic in your earlier post shows.

Without further analysis ... which may help my case or dig me into a whole on this occasion .... i had simply better apologise as I certainly did not appreciate full context when composing my answer ... I thought I had but I review I had not.

In simple terms for original poster targeting 10g DBA exams .... best practice is to study and take 1z0-042 first and also be aware and plan how you will get your required DBA Training if you are looking to get OCP certification.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points