7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 6:43 AM by BluShadow RSS

UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table

Hi experts,

I want plsql script for read the file insert another table(in this file one column contain data 124.0 like that so remove decimal and diaplay the 1240)

Thanks,
      Venkat
        • 1. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
          BluShadow
          You would probably be better using an External Table...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/tables013.htm#ADMIN11705
          • 2. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
            Hi,

send me code clearly because of this problem facing first time
            • 3. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
              BluShadow
              People aren't here to just write your code for you, especially when you haven't provided any exact example of what you're trying to do. (I suggest you read: {message:id=9360002})

There are plenty of examples of creating external tables on the web if you bother to look:

http://www.morganslibrary.org/reference/externaltab.html

Have a go yourself, and if you're still having a problem, post what you've tried.
              • 4. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
                CODE,
                                                                       STATUS,
                                                                       SHORT_DESCRIPTION,
                                                                       LONG_DESCRIPTION,
                                                                       FULL_DESCRIPTION,
                                                                       CODE_EFFECTIVE_DATE,
                                                                       CHANGE_EFFECTIVE_DATE,
                                                                       TERMINATION_DATE,
                                                                       RELEASE_DATE,
                CREATION_DATE,
                VALIDITY

for example i want display code column(1234.5) but my purpose shows the 12345 how please tel me

Thankls,
                venkat
                • 5. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
                  John Stegeman
                  venkat,

What have you tried? As Blu said, the title of this forum isn't "write my code for me because I'm too lazy to read the documentation or even search the web for similar examples"

Well, he didn't say that verbatim, but that's what he or she meant.

John
                  • 6. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
                    BluShadow
                    John Stegeman wrote:
                    venkat,

What have you tried? As Blu said, the title of this forum isn't "write my code for me because I'm too lazy to read the documentation or even search the web for similar examples"

Well, he didn't say that verbatim, but that's what he or she meant.
                    Definitely a "he" the last time I looked. ;)
                    • 7. Re: UTL_FILE FOR  read and inser into table
                      BluShadow
                      983376 wrote:
                      for example i want display code column(1234.5) but my purpose shows the 12345 how please tel me
                      So, when you've created your external table, you will select from it using an SQL query. Within that query (whether you are just selecting or doing an INSERT ... SELECT ... or whatever) you will be able to alter your "code" data as you require, whether you do that by multiplying it by 10, or by treating it as a string and removing the "."... the choice is yours.