This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 1:28 AM by saratpvv RSS

ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded

PrasanthkumarReddy.M Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone,

My Oracle database is 11g r2(11.2.0.2.0) and linux version is redhat 5.5.

In ASM one of our diskgroup getting full. so we added 5 disks to diskgroup with size of 545 GB lun(disk) each..succesfully added diskgroups but while rebalancing is going on ASM instance got stuck and node got hanged up and from application side process got stuck up and thrown with the below error from alert log, for temporariy solution we rebooted the first node.

************************************************************ERROR**************************************************************************
ORA-00240: control file enqueue held for more than 120 seconds
Please check inst 1's alert log for more information on the blocker including a possible ORA-00494 and related incident logs

*ORA-00494: enqueue [CF] held for too long (more than 900 seconds) by 'inst 1, osid 377'*
Please check inst 0's alert log for more information on the blocker including a possible ORA-00494 and related incident logs
*ORA-00494: enqueue [CF] held for too long (more than 900 seconds) by 'inst 1, osid 3733'*
ORA-15055: unable to connect to ASM instance
ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
*ORA-00494: enqueue [CF] held for too long (more than 900 seconds) by 'inst 1, osid 565'*
ORA-15055: unable to connect to ASM instance
ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
Please check inst 1's alert log for more information on the blocker including a possible ORA-00494 and related incident logs
******************************************************ERROR*********************************************************************************

can you please let us know the solution for the above error

Thanks in advance

Thanks & Regards
Prasanth
  • 1. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    Jos van den Oord Newbie
    Hi Prasanth,
    There is a calculation for ASM parameter processes. Summary : "processes= 25 + 15n, where n = # databases connected to ASM".
    For rebalancing also look at the view V$ASM_OPERATION and the setting ASM_POWER_LIMIT see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b31107/asmdiskgrps.htm#i1027260. Setting ASM_POWER_LIMIT see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e18951/asminst.htm#BHCDHJFA.

1. Calculate the parameter processes for ASM on your environment
    2. keep inmind the power clause "The POWER clause of the ALTER DISKGROUP ... REBALANCE statement specifies the degree of parallelism"
    3. Adjust the Oracle ASM parameter to a value that you need for your environment.
    4. Also look inside ASM instance for possible hanging sessions of RMAN functionality.

Cheers,

Jos van den Oord
    Blog : http://joordsblog.vandenoord.eu/
    Company : http://www.transfer-solutions.com/

"Don't believe it, test it!"
  • 2. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    Hi Jos

--> How to calculate ASM Parmaeter process? with which view i can get the information?

-->I cheked with below command by connecting ASM instance show below like 300 process .But while doing any operation on ASM crossing 300+ connection of process.

SQL>show parameter process

NAME TYPE VALUE
    -------------- ----------- ------------------
    processes integer 300

--> I confirmed by checking by ps -aef|grep beq command in linux it shown 380 beq connection.

--> Power limit i given 5 while adding disks to diskgroup..!

--> long back ago we changed ASM Parameter process value to 300 in place of 100.

--> A question like while rebalancing is going node got hanged got alert error like ASM MAXIMUM PROCESS GOT EXCEED so no operation were allowed to the node, so we rebooted the node after rebooted node came in to normal state and able to do all operation normally..but my question is that rebalance is completed succesfully or not?

--> For this issue we need to apply any Patch to overcome this issue in future while doing any operation on ASM

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Thanks & Regards
    Prasanth
  • 3. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    saratpvv Journeyer
    --> A question like while rebalancing is going node got hanged got alert error like ASM MAXIMUM PROCESS GOT EXCEED so no operation were allowed to the node, so we rebooted the node after rebooted node came in to normal state and able to do all operation normally..but my question is that rebalance is completed succesfully or not?
    After adding the new disks to the diskgroup. Then it immediately triggers a rebalancing operation that can be monitored through the v$asm_operation view.
    SQL> select group_number, operation, est_minutes from v$asm_operation;

GROUP_NUMBER OPERA EST_MINUTES
    ------------ ----- -----------
               1 REBAL           4

Once completed the reblance operation it will disappear from the v$asm_operation view.

no rows selected
  • 4. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    meser Journeyer
    has your disk group size increased ?

V$ASM_DISK
    V$ASM_DISKGROUP

Edited by: mehmet_eser on Mar 28, 2013 5:29 PM
  • 5. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    Hi Sarat,

Query is showing no rows selected as below

no rows selected

so it means rebalance is completed succesfully rt..!

@mehmet

yes diskgroup size is increased..!

But my problem is that why ASM througn an above error which i posted earlier..why it caused me to reboot the node ..is any bug for ASM,is i need to apply any patch to my database ..my database version is 11.2.0.2.0 in the linux 5.5 platform.

Thanks,
    Prasanth
  • 6. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    meser Journeyer
    check the metalink support document. 1287496.1

"Many Connections From oraagent.bin to ASM or Database Instance (Likely ORA-00020)(1287496.1)"

It may be a bug. I advise you to open an SR.
  • 7. Re: ASM maximum number of processes (300) exceeded
    saratpvv Journeyer
    Query is showing no rows selected as below

no rows selected

so it means rebalance is completed succesfully rt..!
    Yes

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points