This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 10:09 AM by Brandye Barrington RSS

1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion

739224 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Iam planing to give 1Z0-147 PL/SQL Certification Exam.Now iam confused about the actual syllabus of the exam.I have got an Oracle PL/SQL Book from my friend,who doesn't intend to give the exam.Now in the Oracle Book there are about 18 Chapters,while on the oracle webiste the Syllabus mentioned starts from 9th Chapter of the book after the introduction.So Does that mean I skip the First 8 chapters??

First 8 Chapters include Declaring Variable,Writing Executable stmts,Interacting with sever,Writing Control Structure,Working with Composite data types,Cursors, Explicit Cursors and Handling Exceptions.

Help me out guys,even though it might seem to be a noob question :(
  • 1. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    75407 Expert
    astaguy wrote:
    Hi,

Iam planing to give 1Z0-147 PL/SQL Certification Exam.Now iam confused about the actual syllabus of the exam.I have got an Oracle PL/SQL Book from my friend,who doesn't intend to give the exam.Now in the Oracle Book there are about 18 Chapters,while on the oracle webiste the Syllabus mentioned starts from 9th Chapter of the book after the introduction.So Does that mean I skip the First 8 chapters??

First 8 Chapters include Declaring Variable,Writing Executable stmts,Interacting with sever,Writing Control Structure,Working with Composite data types,Cursors, Explicit Cursors and Handling Exceptions.

Help me out guys,even though it might seem to be a noob question :(
    As far as I am aware in this area there is no book that is directly focused on this exam (apart from Oracle University Manuals for some Oracle Univsirty courses, which may have loose correspondence to the exam).

Are you willing to share the title, author and ISBN number of the book?

Rgds -bigdleboy.

PS: From other posts you will note that I consistently champion the topics for the more modern 1z0-144 as oppose to my scunnering of 1z0-147. Not that there's direct exam focused stuff for 1z0-144 either; apart from Oracle University Training Materials I assume.
  • 2. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    739224 Newbie
    The Book in question is the Oracle Course Manual from Oracle University.It has total 18Chapters mentioned in it.Below are the mentioned chapters in it
    1 Declaring Variables
    2 Writing Executable Statements
    3 Interacting with the Oracle Server
    4 Writing Control Structures
    5 Working with Composite Data Types
    6 Writing Explicit Cursor
    7 Advanced Explicit Cursor Concepts
    8 Handling Exceptions
    9 Creating Procedures
    10 Creating Functions
    11 Managing Subprograms
    12 Creating Packages
    13 More Package Concepts
    14 Oracle Supplied Packages
    15 Manipulating Large Objects
    16 Creating Database Triggers
    17 More Trigger Concepts
    18 Managing Dependencies

While here at the Oracle website the syllabus given starts from Procedure-Chapter 9 ,so does that mean there is no need to learn first 8 chapters as far as Exam is concenrned???

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_exam_id=1Z0_147#3
  • 3. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    75407 Expert
    >

While here at the Oracle website the syllabus given starts from Procedure-Chapter 9 ,so does that mean there is no need to learn first 8 chapters as far as Exam is concenrned???

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_exam_id=1Z0_147#3
    I assume you have an old hardcopy rather than a PDF e-kit ....

- One of the main beneifts of certiifcation is the study process.
    - Often authors may organise in such a way that later subjects are dependent on earlier material; though they may try to keep subsequent material as independent as possilble.

- While I suspect the material in the earlier chapters may not be questioned directly, I would assume most of it ought to be known and understood by an OCA level candidate and might need t be understood to answer some questions.

I can't, and won't even try, saying whether excllent revision of the material you suggest is sufficient to pass the exam. However I would expect a good candidate to explore and understand foundations before attempting to run.
  • 4. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    682732 Newbie
    Hi astaguy,

How is your preparation going? When are you planning to sit in the exam?

I would suugest you to follow the exam syllabus mentioned on oracle website. Have you tried SelfTest or Transcender?

Thanks

Edited by: user10878991 on 05-Feb-2010 08:58

Edited by: user10878991 on 05-Feb-2010 09:00
  • 5. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    982479 Newbie
    same proplem as me
  • 6. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    bigdelboy Pro
    979476 wrote:
    same proplem as me
    You have resurrected an ancient thread.

1z0-144 is a more modern alternative exam. I am not going to cover the shortcomings and issue of 1z0147; of which there are a few.

Visit http://certification.oracle.com for details of authorative up o date topics.
  • 7. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    babarbaig82 Newbie
    1z0-147 Syllabus seems to have changed. The following topics are excluded from the list.

More Trigger Concepts
    Managing Dependencies
  • 8. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    You can find updated exam topics on our website at certification.oracle.com.

Please keep in mind that this exam retires on July 31, 2013. Be sure to build that retirement date into your plans.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 9. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    babarbaig82 Newbie
    Yes according to Oracle website the two mentioned topics are now excluded from exam. But are the online exams also updated?
  • 10. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    bigdelboy Pro
    babarbaig82 wrote:
    Yes according to Oracle website the two mentioned topics are now excluded from exam. But are the online exams also updated?
    Please indicate precisely what online exams you feel are affected. i.e. 1z0-NNN numbers.

( I am mainly concerned because one exam topic page recently 1z0-117 was spotted by Matthew to render incorrectly and miss topics, and Brandye indicated that this had affected a couple of other exams as well. So I would be concerned to identify whether we are talking a genuine topic change or a page misrender ).

Matthew have been doing some sterling work doing guides recently ( including pointing out some 1z0-147 topic anomalies compared to 1z0-144/6 if I remember correctly, and that may even have influenced a topic review/drop which one might not normally expect nearing exam retirement ).

( Thinking about it I suspect you are probably talking about 1z0-007 &/or 1z0-051 but I am only guessing ..... if you thing particular topics have been dropped feel free to let us know the topics thought to be dropped as we do not really have time to search ... thankyou )
  • 11. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    matthew_morris Expert
    Please indicate precisely what online exams you feel are affected
    He is talking about 1Z0-147. Specifically he is continuing the topic started on the OraFAQ forum here:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/186825/172751/

In that thread, I told him that it is vanishingly unlikely that Oracle would change the topics covered by an exam four months before retiring it and that this was likely a website issue like Roger25 has reported with the 1Z0-117 exam. However, he would not take my unsupported word for it. I suggested he open a thread here (I did not suggest hijacking an unrelated thread) so that Brandye could verify that these topics remain on the exam.

Brandye, please confirm for babarbaig82 that these two topics have not been removed from the 1Z0-147 exam.
  • 12. Re: 1Z0-147 Syllabus Confusion
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Checking - thanks.

Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points