This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 9:58 PM by Rakin RSS

How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit

Rakin Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

How can I convert forms developed using 64 bit (Forms [64 Bit] Version 11.1.2.0.0 (Production)) to 32 Bit (Forms [32 Bit] Version 11.1.1.6.0 (Production)), because my AS is 32 Bit with version Version 11.1.1.6.0.

I am getting the error "FRM-40012 Form was created by a new version of Oracle Forms", while migrating the Forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 Bit AS.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    HamidHelal Guru
    Report Baby wrote:
    Hi,

How can I convert forms developed using 64 bit (Forms [64 Bit] Version 11.1.2.0.0 (Production)) to 32 Bit (Forms [32 Bit] Version 11.1.1.6.0 (Production)), because my AS is 32 Bit with version Version 11.1.1.6.0.

I am getting the error "FRM-40012 Form was created by a new version of Oracle Forms", while migrating the Forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 Bit AS.

Thanks in advance.
    Hello,
    Your developed version is
    and you want to
    You can not go lower order. try to upgrade your AS to 11.1.2.0.0

Hope this helps

Hamid

Mark correct/helpful to help others to get right answer(s).*
  • 2. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    user346369 Expert
    Hmmm... I would think any fmb built in Forms 11g could be opened by any version of the Forms 11 Developer.

Try the semicolon - semicolon replace-all method to remove all compiled code from the fmb, and reduce the size of the fmb when it is saved. Then see if the 32-bit setup will open it. (Please report if this works!)

Here are the reference threads explaining how:
       Re: FMB size shrinks dramatically
    and
       Re: Why does this happen - find ';', replace with ';'?
  • 3. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    Rakin Newbie
    Hi Steve,

It is not working, I used replace all ; to ; and saved withouting compiling, and did try to open from 32 bit machiene , got same error like.. form is devloped with newer version of oracle forms.
  • 4. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    An option might be to convert your forms to text format with the 11gR2 forms builder, and reconvert it to binary format with the 11gR1 builder (File => Convert). If this doesn't work then you are out of luck. But you could always upgrade your application server to the version you are developing your forms...

cheers
  • 5. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    If you are just playing around with these products then feel free to hack away. However if you are working in a business environment with a real application, I do not recommend doing what you are trying to do. There are numerous reasons why the Builder was designed to throw the message you are seeing. Coming up with a hack to make an 11.1.2 form work in an older Builder is asking for problems. Your issue is not about 32bit and 64bit. Your issue is about taking a newer version of the fmb and expecting it to work in an old version. This may have been permitted in older versions like between 6.0.8 and 6.0.5, but in this case the chases between the versions (11.1.1 to 11.1.2) are such that we do not want to permit this.

If you need 11.1.2 on a different machine then I recommend installing it. There is a release for 32bit platforms and one for 64bit platforms. The Forms modules you create on either platform are cross compatible as long as it is the same major version (i.e. 11.1.2 to 11.1.2). If you find that this doesn't work then I recommend contacting Oracle Support so this problem can be addressed.
  • 6. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    user346369 Expert
    Who would have thought moving from version 11.1.1 and 11.1.2 is a "major version" change?
  • 7. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    In most cases, the give away is that anytime you have to do a new installation (new Oracle Home) and cannot apply it as a "patch", you can assume this is a new major version.

Consider this, what happens if you go into an fmb in version 11.1.2 and use a new feature like the NCHAR datatype or messages to RUEI? Now you try to move that form to a previous version that did not have that feature. What do you expect the old Builder to do with this foreign information? Because the old Builder had no knowledge of this or other newer features, the Builder likely not be able to work with that form. This is also one reason why generally we do not add new features in patch sets unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by: Michael Ferrante (Oracle) on Mar 29, 2013 12:42 PM
  • 8. Re: How to convert forms devloped in 64 bit to 32 bit
    Rakin Newbie
    Hi,

Eventhough I redeveloped the forms with 32bit 11gR1, Just I want to inform the result of your suggestions:

1. It is not working by Find & Replace ;
    2. Also not working with Convert to Text from 11gR1 and Text to Form from 11fR2, I am getting the error : "FRM-18131: File was last saved by an incompatible newer version of Oralce Forms."

The issue was one of our client using the 11gR1 AS, and they are not ready to upgrade also.

Also I want to inform that I didnt use any of 11gR2 specific features, I developed with my old knowledge only. :(

Thank everybody.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points