This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 7:47 PM by ovlz RSS

cant login as root after yum update

ovlz Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I set out and installed OL 6.3 64 bit. Got it all working like I wanted but they did a yum update and now it looks like I have OL 6.4. One problem I have now is that I can no longer log onto the gnome desktop as root. I can only logon as another user, but then from terminal I can do "su - root". What can I change so that I can log onto the desktop as root?
  • 1. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    EdStevens Guru
    ovlz wrote:
    I set out and installed OL 6.3 64 bit. Got it all working like I wanted but they did a yum update and now it looks like I have OL 6.4. One problem I have now is that I can no longer log onto the gnome desktop as root. I can only logon as another user, but then from terminal I can do "su - root". What can I change so that I can log onto the desktop as root?
    Your statement "*+they+* did a yum update" (emphasis mine) suggests you are NOT the admin of this box and so perhaps should not have direct root access. Perhaps in addition to the OS update, "they" tightened up the security as well.

Personally, I don't WANT root access. Not having it eliminates me from any suspicion if something goes wrong as a result of root actions.
  • 2. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    ovlz Newbie
    "I" did yum update. "They" was a typo. I do want root access. This is a test box for an eventual DB upgrade.
  • 3. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    ovlz Newbie
    after the update I noticed the firewall and selinux were back, so I've already disabled the firewall as well as selinux

trying to figure out what is keeping me from being able to log on to gnome desktop as root
  • 4. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    EdStevens Guru
    ovlz wrote:
    "I" did yum update. "They" was a typo. I do want root access. This is a test box for an eventual DB upgrade.
    Ok, just needed to clarify. ;-)

I'm not really a *nix admin, and have no direct experience with v6, but it occurs to me that you could do this on a vm, and check a few suspects before and after the yum update .. first thing that comes to mind is the sudoers file .. anything that controls access via sudo.  Is is possible that "they" tightened security -- with "they" being the Oracle Linux developers?

Edited by: EdStevens on Mar 14, 2013 2:52 PM
  • 5. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    Dude! Guru
    A yum upgrade is not supposed to reconfigure your installation. I did a yum upgrade of 6.4 x64 a few hours ago and it worked fine. Are you sure you are working with the correct system? Gnome under Enterprise Linux does not disable root login, but under Fedora or Ubuntu, for instance, it is normal.
  • 6. Re: cant login as root after yum update
    ovlz Newbie
    ultimately I redid the server and did not have the same problem the next time around

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points