2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 10:41 AM by 988801 RSS

zfs snapshot question

Hi guys,
      I will really appreciate it if someone can answer this for me.

I do understand that you can use snapshots to back up file systems. But they also use up pool space when their file systems grow.
      So, is it necessary to create zfs snapshots even when you already have a full system back up in place?

Thank you very much for your kind explanation.

Arrey
        • 1. Re: zfs snapshot question
          Bjoern Rost
          985798 wrote:
          So, is it necessary to create zfs snapshots even when you already have a full system back up in place?
          Nobody will force you to create or keep snapshots and if you are happy with taking "classic" backups then there may be no need for additional snapshots. And since snapshots will also take up space in your pool, it is usually a good idea to keep them only for a short period and delete them periodically. I like to use snapshots for two purposes:

- create a snapshot, then write that snaptshot to take and destroy it afterwards. that way, you can guarantee that this tape backup is consistent
          - create snapshot at regular intervals and keep them around for a few days so that if I need to restore a file from just a day ago I don't have to go back to tapes but can rather fetch it from the snapshot. So that would be in addition to regular backups

cheers
          bjoern
          • 2. Re: zfs snapshot question
            Thanks you very much,

Nicely answered