2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 1:44 PM by FlyingGuy

The SQL Developer Map Viewer

FlyingGuy
      So I have been waiting a while and I am still hoping for:

Control over the presentation of sdo_point geometries since:

When they are currently the balloon to sizes so large as to make them unusable,

- This is really a deal breaker and I am really trying to get students at UC Berkeley to use this tool!

The ability to share queries

- When new students arrive it would be OH so very nice to be able to point them as a file or set of files and tell them:

Here are the base viewing queries that we use to display the road information that you are interested in.

The ability to pull in a MAP TILE

We want to use this tool to allow these students to view the networks ( nodes and links ) in reference to a map.

Bug Fix for:

1. If you move the un-docked map ( on the linux Version ) the divider between the query list and the map surface just jumps all over the place.

WHY THIS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY

I support the school of engineering. These students are working on traffic modeling and will go forth to cities and organizations. Do you want them to use and recommend Oracle products or those of a competitor? I know Simon is working on geoRaptor but it is complex and this is a nice simple clean interface.
        • 1. Re: The SQL Developer Map Viewer
          Simon Greener
          FlyingGuy,

Yes this is Simon presenting a GeoRaptor perspective.
          Control over the presentation of sdo_point geometries since:
          When they are currently the balloon to sizes so large as to make them unusable,
          - This is really a deal breaker and I am really trying to get students at UC Berkeley to use this tool!
          Now GeoRaptor does this really easily as you should know because I know you use it and have contacted me about it in the past.

Changing an sdo_point sdo_geometry objects's colour, size, labelling and marker is pretty well as easy as it gets in GeoRaptor. What is wrong with how GeoRaptor does this? Do you want more marker styles?
          The ability to share queries
          - When new students arrive it would be OH so very nice to be able to point them as a file or set of files and tell them:
          Here are the base viewing queries that we use to display the road information that you are interested in.
          This is called create a query in a SQL Worksheet, get it to work the way you want, then save it out (File>Save) to a SQL file on a shared drive.

Or, create a report and then export it.

What is specifically Spatial about this requirement, can you explain? GeoRaptor allows you to export a layer from its map view that students could load: have you tried that?
          The ability to pull in a MAP TILE
          We want to use this tool to allow these students to view the networks ( nodes and links ) in reference to a map.
          You want the ability to pull in a MAP TILE's worth of road nodes and links. How do you propose to do this? From the little you say, I conclude that your data model has some sort of partitioning but you don't show us what that tiling mechanism is. Assuming the tiling is based on a map sheet value stored in an attribute (see query below) then a WHERE clause predicate based on your own data will do the dynamic selection easily.
          select id, geom from my_link where map_tile = '4526';
          Perhaps you should consider creating a SQL Developer Report that when you open it, it asks for the map sheet value. As long as the resultant table view contains the geometries to map, GeoRaptor could map them. Here is an example I whipped up for you:

http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/files/MapAReport.png
          Bug Fix for:
          1. If you move the un-docked map ( on the linux Version ) the divider between the query list and the map surface just jumps all over the place.
          As I understand it, there are other places to log bug reports and enhancement requests for SQL Developer Spatial than this forum.

Note: GeoRaptor's map view behaves correctly in respect of this issue. If it doesn't please file an enhancement request.
          WHY THIS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY
          I support the school of engineering. These students are working on traffic modeling and will go forth to cities and organizations. Do you want them to use and recommend Oracle products or those of a competitor? I know Simon is working on geoRaptor but it is complex and this is a nice simple clean interface.
          Students won't get much of a say about the database that is used within the organisations: this looks a lot like an argument based on blackmail (paraphrase: "if you don't give me what I want, my students will use another database") which is a poor basis for winning friends and influencing people.

If they are traffic engineers then they will end up using either in-house/proprietary applications based on some database or other, or if the organisation uses EXOR then they will get Oracle automatically. No decision required in either case. Decisions are not made by students except if they are also proficient in ESRI.......

GeoRaptor isn't that complex so I reject that assertion. I suspect that the reason people think it difficult is that they don't use it enough. Most people learn software nowadays by using it (hacking is the term). We have been slowly adding more online help and will continue to do so, but no one has yet stuck up their hand to write up to date, user documentation. Perhaps that person is you?

Simon
          • 2. Re: The SQL Developer Map Viewer
            FlyingGuy
            Simon,

That is an inappropriate response. I will e-mail you privately.