This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2013 11:05 PM by MahirM.Quluzade RSS

ORL & Switchover

999142 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I guess SRL are used when the database is in standby role, but once the database is switched over to the primary role, the SRL wont be used and the database will need to have ORL, am I correct?
Will the DB automaticaly create ORL when switchover or should I create them manually?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: ORL & Switchover
    Acooper Explorer
    With all due respect is isn't a very good question, here's why:

1. You can Google for the answer.
    2. You can read the documents for the answer
    3. You can search this forum for the answer.
    4. You can test it yourself.
  • 2. Re: ORL & Switchover
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    The online redo logs at the (former) standby will be automatically (re)created when you open the standby.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 3. Re: ORL & Switchover
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi,

I guess SRL are used when the database is in standby role, but once the database is switched over to the primary role, the SRL wont be used and the database will need to have ORL, am I correct?
    If standby database switched to primary database, then standby redo log groups is NOT using. Because Stnabyd Redo Logs is using by RFS process.
    If database runing primary role, then database must using Online Redo Logs. If online redo logs is not created, when database opening ORL creating automatically.
    Will the DB automaticaly create ORL when switchover or should I create them manually?
    I think, best practice when you duplicate primary database for standby then, create or duplicate primary redo logs for standby database.
    Don't forget setting log_file_name_convert parameter with duplicate command.

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points