4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2013 10:32 PM by user11982706 RSS

Archive log backup configuration in Dataguard

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a clarification related to archive log backup to tape, with respect to dataguard environment.
      We are actually building an environment and would need your advise to make it robust.

configuration -
      2 node primary rac with 2 node standby

Question -

We want to backup/delete the archive logs from primary after confirming that it has been shipped to the standby. And similarly we want to backup/delete the archived logs at standby after confirming that they were applied. Can this be acheived, is there a flaw in our thinking?
      If it can be acheived what would be the best way? i.e. using shell or RMAN?

Is there any better idea, a better way to deal with this?

Need your advise seniors/experts.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Archive log backup configuration in Dataguard
          saratpvv
          We want to backup/delete the archive logs from primary after confirming that it has been shipped to the standby.
          Configure RMAN to purge archivelogs after applied on standby [ID 728053.1]
          • 2. Re: Archive log backup configuration in Dataguard
            Thanks for the prompt response.

I checked the MOS as suggested.

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY;

with the undocumented paramater change in 10g was suggested.

I think it partially meets our requirement.

In my primary i want to check -

1. Is the archive log backed up to tape?
            2. Applied to standby? ------------------------------------------------> this is take care in your suggestion/MOS

how to incorporate the first check as well? PLease share your expertise.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Archive log backup configuration in Dataguard
              I was going through few other threads and got this one -

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON ALL STANDBY BACKED UP 1 TIMES TO 'SBT_TAPE';

i think it makes both checks i was talking about before.

thread url => Re: deleting archive logs on primary only after they are backed up on standby
              • 4. Re: Archive log backup configuration in Dataguard
                user11982706
                I would suggest to go with Flash recovery area and RMAN for archives backup & removal in dataguard environment. I had a similar question in mind earlier too then i come with this:

1) FRA enable at both primary & standby
                2) archive logs generated at FRA location
                3) change archive deletion policy to "Applied on all standby" on Primary
                4) taking archive backups without the delete clause as FRA will take care of deletion part.

Only, thing you needs to consider is space requirment for FRA and alert mechanism for monitoring FRA.

I have noted down the steps in details in my blog in few posts. You might want to have a look at that too.

http://orasteps.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/physical-standby-check-the-effects-of-deletion-policy-set-to-applied-on-all-standby/

Thanks

Yogesh
                http://orasteps.wordpress.com