1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 8:23 PM by yxes2013 RSS

Active-Passive HA Topology

yxes2013
      Hi All,

I found this 10g docs for Active-Passive Topology Setup.
      Active and Passive environments, also known as Cold Failover Cluster (CFC) environments. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/install.102/e10953/actpass_env.htm
      http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B31019_01/install.1013/install/ha.htm#BABEAAAD
      Is this still available in 11g? or phased out?

It mentioned 2 types of configuration namely:

1. Figure 6-3 Active-Passive Topology with Oracle HTTP Server and OC4J in the Same Oracle Home
      2. Figure 6-4 Active-Passive Topology with Oracle HTTP Server and OC4J in Separate Oracle Homes

Which if the two types is easier to setup and is more reliable?

Note also the it is using "vendor clusterware" , can I use "Oracle clusterware" instead?

Thanks a lot,

zxy
        • 1. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
          sybrand_b
          Your request is about Application Server. This is however the database forum.
          Please post this in the correct forum.

-----------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
            yxes2013
            Oh dear you're back :D long time no see, but now see-now ;)

On the contrary it has a database component, and I want that part only, disregard the application part please :)

Gracias.
            • 3. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
              sybrand_b
              Google provided me with this link https://blogs.oracle.com/xpsoluxdb/entry/clusterware_11gr2_setting_up_an_activepassive_failover_configuration

Also in Oracle 11g you no longer need vendor clusterware.

--------------
              Sybrand Bakker
              Senior Oracle DBA
              • 4. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                yxes2013
                Thanks,

But can I not use oracle clusterware as substitute for verdor clusterware in 10g?
                • 5. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                  sybrand_b
                  In 10g you needed Oracle clusterware on top of vendor clusterware. In 11g Oracle clusterware is a complete, independent product, replacing vendor clusterware.
                  Does this answer your question?

-----------------
                  Sybrand Bakker
                  Senior Oracle DBA
                  • 6. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                    yxes2013
                    Thanks dear, that makes it clearer now . But the 10g docs I read does not say so :(. Can you give me 10g docs that setup active-passive using oracle clusterware pleaseee.... Thanks

I also found this remark in gogle
                    Is your OE Mission Critical? You will need a Mission Critical License to have ServiceGuard.
                    OR, you can just employ Poor Man's cluster by writing the scripts needed to quickly failover your Oracle Environment to another server.
                    Do you know of some poor man's cluster scripts.
                    • 7. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                      sb92075
                      yxes2013 wrote:
                      Do you know of some poor man's cluster scripts.
                      yes, but scripts are Operating System dependent & you decided to NOT share your details with us;
                      even though you have been directed/requested to do so almost EVERY thread you start here.

Handle:     yxes2013
                      Email:     krishel130@yahoo.com
                      Status Level:     Newbie
                      Total Posts:     472
                      Total Questions:     70 (39 unresolved)

why so many UNANSWERED threads?
                      • 8. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                        yxes2013
                        Thanks dear,
                        yes, but scripts are Operating System dependent & you decided to NOT share your details with us;
                        Details:

I am task to setup a active-passive high-availability failover.

Given:

2 Servers with SLES 10
                        Oracle 10gR2

1 DAS(direct access storage) shared for 2 Servers.

We have installed Oracle_Home for earch servers but they shared all the dbfs.
                        We can test manually the failover to each of the 2 servers. 1 is active and 1 is down, then and vice versa, both can startup the share oracle instance and database.

But I really do not know of we use the vendor clusterware bacause the sysadmin is the one incharge. All I know is that we did not install oracle clusterware.
                        Can you share me the docs how to do install oracle clusterware of 10gR2 for active-passive topology?

Can you share also the "poor man's script" in managing the failover?

Thankssssss
                        • 9. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                          JustinCave
                          Are you trying to set up a two-node RAC cluster? If so, why on earth would you want one of the nodes to be down? Why not have both nodes active?

Are you trying to configure a manual standby to simulate what you would get with DataGuard if you were using the enterprise edition? Or are you using the enterprise edition and trying to configure DataGuard?

What you're describing here (and what you've described in a number of other threads) appears to be an incredibly unique, incredibly idiosyncratic environment. Given that you appear to have no desire to read documentation or to explore the functionality of the product and you want everything made very simple for you, why are you insisting on creating a terribly unique environment? There are tons of articles on how to set up a RAC cluster. There are tons of articles on how to configure DataGuard. If you want to configure an environment in a way that no one has ever done before (which I'd strongly advise against on principle), you'll actually have to do some work to figure things out.

Justin
                          • 10. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                            sb92075
                            +1
                            • 11. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                              yxes2013
                              Thanks Justin, I know you cared :) but my issue has not been solved for long yet :(

But as what you mentioned, I am in a unique situation where the process in "not normal". So I hope you can accept that fact. I have not fully understood what you have been advising me to do. Most of you are advise me to install RAC instead of the required active-passive mode. Is active-passive mode can be called RAC too? But I guess our resources have limitation to install RAC? or i don't know.

Forget the dataguard first. Let's first concentrate on Active-Passive configuration.

So this is the given:

Server: 2 pcs Dell Poweredge
                              DB: Oracle 10.2.0.4
                              Shared Storage: DAS (direct access storage)
                              Vendor Clusterware: I don't know - Is OCFS2 can be called vendor clusterware?
                              Oracle Clusterware: I don't know what to use.

I know RAC need SAN so DAS is a limitation ( I accept that the fact we can not use RAC).

We have tried installing oracle db on the shared server. And tested that active-passive thing.
                              But we do not have that script to manage it automatically to sense if the node1(active) is down then node2 (passive) will activate and takeover.
                              Do you get my point? or what I want to do? or what I am looking for? I just want a script, or a poor man's script mentioned in google by hakuna matata.
                              If you can not find the "poor man's script" then maybe you got the rich man's ;)
                              Why is everybody is advising me to install RAC active-active when our resources can not afford to?

Thanks a lot,

zxy
                              • 12. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                                JustinCave
                                If your situation is unique, realistically, that means that you are going to have to do a lot of legwork. You are going to have to read the documentation. You are going to have to understand all the available options, not just look at a "quick start" guide. You're going to have to develop the scripts that you need for your unique environment.

Honestly, I'm miles from understanding exactly what you are trying to build. I see that you appear to be trying to cobble together a Frankenstein's monster using a variety of different technologies but the higher-level architecture escapes me. Now, perhaps there are good reasons for this. You tell us to accept that fact, so I do. But once you decide that we need to accept that you are going to do something very unique with an architecture that no one has ever tried before, you need to accept that you have to give up the desire to rely on quick start guides and folks you find in forums to help you out. You are building something totally unique. You're going to need totally unique scripts. You're going to need to read a ton of documentation to figure out how to get all the disparate parts to work together. You're going to need to experiment.

Think of it like buying a car. If you want to buy a standard type of vehicle, other people can help you choose which of a few standard models to use. If you want to haul stuff, people can help you choose an appropriate truck. If you want to carry a bunch of kids, people can help you choose an appropriate minivan. If you choose a standard architecture, we can probably help you implement it.

If, on the other hand, you decide that you want to build a completely custom vehicle from the ground up because you decide that your requirements are sufficiently unique to justify this, then you're going to have to solve a lot more problems. If you want to try to combine the engine from a Ford pickup with the exhaust from a Toyota sedan and add in a custom battery pack and run the engine with cooking oil, you're going to encounter a number of problems that no one else has encountered. That means you'll need to do a lot of legwork to work through those problems. Similarly, if you need a completely unique hybrid of technologies, all we can realistically do is point you at the documentation and wish you good luck because you'll have to do a lot of reading and experimenting to get something like that to work.

It appears that you are hoping that you can build something completely unique without doing any more work than if you were going to build something completely standard. You need to accept that this is not possible. If you want to implement something completely unique, you're going to have to make yourself an expert in the internals of a bunch of different technologies.

Justin
                                • 13. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                                  yxes2013
                                  Thanks for the in-depth analogy. :)

But to be simplistic is, I just want a script. or do you mean there is no such script?
                                  You're going to have to develop the scripts that you need for your unique environment.
                                  I am not even sure if our environment is unique :( maybe it is not.

I only want a script for the non-unique environment, and then I will make it "unique" fit.

Thanks....
                                  • 14. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                                    sb92075
                                    yxes2013 wrote:
                                    Thanks for the in-depth analogy. :)

But to be simplistic is, I just want a script. or do you mean there is no such script?
                                    You're going to have to develop the scripts that you need for your unique environment.
                                    I am not even sure if our environment is unique :( maybe it is not.

I only want a script for the non-unique environment, and then I will make it "unique" fit.

Thanks....
                                    script is trivial three step operation
                                    1) switch REDO logfile
                                    2) copy archived file from Primary to Standby
                                    3) apply file to Standby.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next