1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 8:23 PM by yxes2013 Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
        yxes2013
        Can RAC One runs on 10g?

See this:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/install.102/e10953/actpass_env.htm

How is it different to RAC One?

I Thank You All
        • 31. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
          Aman....
          RAC One Node is a feature from 11.2 onwards.

Aman....
          • 32. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
            yxes2013
            Thanks dearie :)
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/install.102/e10953/actpass_env.htm
            Active and Passive environments, also known as Cold Failover Cluster (CFC) environments, 
            refer to one type of high availability solution that allows an application to run on one node at a time. 
            These environments generally use a combination of cluster software to provide a logical host name and IP address, 
            along with interconnected host and storage systems to share information to provide a measure of high availability 
            for applications.
            They seem look like RAC One? Why Oracle is fond of redundant things? :(
            • 33. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
              sb92075
              yxes2013 wrote:
              Why Oracle is fond of redundant things? :(
              no single point of failure & DB is always available.
              • 34. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                yxes2013
                I mean why there is RAC One and the old active-passive (CFC)? :(

Ah ok i get it, just like in SALES strategy, Oracle is repackaging its product so that it will look new and the consumers will not get bored of it ;)
                You all must learn more on Economics 101.

Thanks
                • 35. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                  JustinCave
                  First, this most recent discussion appears to duplucate Grid Control as well as Grid Clusterware. Posting identical questions in three different threads (maybe more) is not productive. It just causes people to waste their time repeating each other and asking redundant questions. Given the fact that you're not asking highly focused questions, this isn't going to help you get answers quickly. Hopefully, a moderator will be by shortly to lock the various duplicate threads.

You posted a link to documentation on Enterprise Manager, not to the Oracle database. The Enterprise Manager documentation is discussing how to configure monitoring when you have used operating system clustering to set up a cold failover cluster.

There are tons of ways to build high availability and tons of different vendors with different solutions. The cold failover clusters that the Enterprise Manager documentation is discussing are built on top of operating system clustering not database clustering. They are built with things like HP ServiceGuard (which we've disucssed in this thread earlier) which is a product that is not owned by Oracle that the Oracle database is unaware of (the high-end Unix operating systems have similar types of technologies). You'd probably do something similar with Oracle FailSafe if you're on Windows but that's a pretty niche Oracle product.

If you want to build a cluster using operating-system clustering and failover technologies, you'd use these operating-system clustering and failover technologies (note that you're using an operating system that doesn't have this functionality). If you want Oracle clustering, you'd use RAC One.

Justin
                  • 36. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                    Aman....
                    yxes2013 wrote:

Ah ok i get it, just like in SALES strategy, Oracle is repackaging its product so that it will look new and the consumers will not get bored of it ;)

Why there is AMM in 11g and ASMM in 10g? Why there is ASM in 10g and above when we already had OCFS? I am not sure that what's the point of your question? The CFC was a feature of the past and the RAC One Node is a feature from 11.2 onwards. New releases bring new features!

Aman....
                    • 37. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                      oralicious
                      yxes2013 wrote:

Your understanding of the technology is wrong. RAC and Active-Passive principles might seem to be from the same family as theres some clustering going on until you give the slightest scratch on the surface and you see theyre not the same at all.

Youve been talking about OS clustering all the time here which has been mentioned by others including the hakuna user on the HP link you provided earlier. you may think youre not talking about application clustering but in this case you are. the application and its file systems just happens to be oracle and datafiles.

Linux does allow this and you need a linux clustering expert to help you configure your scripts. Theyre not oracle scripts, theyre scripts that happen in this case to be controlling oracle. The IP will sit at the cluster level (again OS cluster, not oracle) and as a connection comes in, the clusterware knows to send connection down to the owning node.

Once you configure your clustered services, they will be monitored by the linux clustering manager. When the OS detects an issue that warrants the failover it runs the scripts to relocate the services to alternate node.
                      • 38. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                        yxes2013
                        Is there documentations that I can read re: this topic?

Thanks
                        • 39. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                          jgarry
                          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-096107.html

There were similar things available for 10gR2, you might find some of them by googling oracle database 10gr2 high availability

Edit: Oh, here they are: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/oracle-database-maa-best-practices-155386.html (scroll down for 10gR2).

Edited by: jgarry on Apr 15, 2013 9:25 AM
                          • 40. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
                            yxes2013
                            thanks jq :)
                            1 2 3 Previous Next