This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 7:43 AM by 1000233 RSS

Populate parent window with values from selected child window

1000233 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have form window which we call from another form, we have a master child relationship between the two. The child block has radio buttons to select a row. we have a save button in the child block wehn the radio button is checked ad save button pressed then the values in that selected row must be inserted in the parent window block. How to achive this ? Please suggest
  • 1. Re: Populate parent window with values from selected child window
    BEDE Explorer
    I understand you call a form from another form using call_form or open_form. Am I right?
    If so, then, you should set some global variable, or, even better, pass the called form a parameter list, and have the default_where for the called form use the global variable or the parameters passed via parameter list.
  • 2. Re: Populate parent window with values from selected child window
    1000233 Newbie
    HI i am calling the child window using app_window.set_window_position. and the main query is here how to get the row which we select through radio buttons . I want the values in that row.
  • 3. Re: Populate parent window with values from selected child window
    BEDE Explorer
    So, that is not a form, but a window within the same form.
    This makes things even more simple.
    That window must, by necessity, have a canvas, and, on that canves, there should be some text-items or display-items, where you wish to display that info.
    So, you should have a when- trigger on the radio-button group, where wou will set the values for the display-items or text-items in that window.
    Although, I do not really understand what you want to do with those radio-buttons, whether the same functionality is not achievable in a more simple way...
    So, you mean you have a database block, and what are the radio-buttons doing? It would seem more natural to "select" using a checkbox, the only problem being that ceckboxes are not to be grouped and you may have N records checked if the checkbox is part of the datablock. But, a radio-button group would mean a limited number of items (most likely 2-3), of which you chose one. And how is thet radio-button choice supposed to correlate with some intems in a database-block holding N records?
    It seems to me that it's first of all an interface design issue.
  • 4. Re: Populate parent window with values from selected child window
    1000233 Newbie
    Thanks for your response, i will restate my requirement : earlier we used to have a LOV on 5 of the item in our parent window , but the new window has to replace these LOVs, so we use radio button so that user cannot select more than one value, and this new window has a content canavas on which we have these radio buttons and a scroll bar . On this content canavas we have a tabbed canavas which contains the data in a block. I hope this time i didn't led to any ambiguity :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points