4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 3:43 PM by Iordan Iotzov

predict database performance with more no. of users/bigger size

Anju Garg
      How can I predict the performance of my database
      - when no. of users increase
      - when size of my database increases
      (say 10 times) with passage of time?
        • 1. Re: predict database performance with more no. of users/bigger size
          Aman....
          user12288492 wrote:
          Since you haven't mentioned anything more significant, spend some time reading about the Real Application Testing and within that, DB Replay where you can play around with the db, mimic the changes and see what's the impact. Other than that, you can't really predict about the performance per se. It would be always a guessed work based on the current work.

Aman....
          • 2. Re: predict database performance with more no. of users/bigger size
            KR10822864
            it will depend upon how good your application and database design.
            also depend upon how good your hardware/software like OS version/RDBMS version/RAM/CPUS/storage/network switches ..etc
            it will depends upon situation. don't have any thumb rule to decide.

please post database version and os version , your hardware details.
            • 3. Re: predict database performance with more no. of users/bigger size
              sb92075
              user12288492 wrote:
              It depends.
              As number of users increase, then performance could stay the same or get worse.
              It depends.
              As DB size increases, then performance could get worse or stay the same.
              • 4. Re: predict database performance with more no. of users/bigger size
                Iordan Iotzov
                This book is a good start:
                http://www.amazon.com/Forecasting-Oracle-Performance-Craig-Shallahamer/dp/1430242930

Evaluating a real system is tricky, particularly when trying to figure out how the system would behave when the DB size increases significantly.

Iordan Iotzov
                http://iiotzov.wordpress.com/