This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 12:07 AM by Paul Horth RSS

PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)

tx103108 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
This question may not be pertinent to this forum but I have to start somewhere.. :-)

Anyone have an idea (educated guess?) of what would be more career enhancing / career stable, a PL/SQL developer or an Informatica Developer?

My guess is PL/SQL since both OLTP and DW environments [can] use PL/SQL, where as Informatica is a tool for the DW shops.

Your views would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Speaking in very broad terms, not accounting for your physical location, your strengths & weaknesses, your organization's needs...

In general, there is probably a trade-off between "career enhancing" and "career stability" here. A good PL/SQL developer has a broader range of opportunities, which generally enhances stability, but PL/SQL developers tend to be (relatively) cheap. Developers with experience in a particular niche tool (like Informatica) tend to have fewer opportunities but those opportunities tend to be higher profile (and higher paying).

Of course, I'd generally expect an ETL developer to be reasonably fluent in PL/SQL, so it's not quite an either/or proposition. The generalities above also break down rather quickly-- a great PL/SQL developer is going to have plenty of options for advancement and a poor Informatica developer is going to quickly run out of places willing to employ them. So a lot ends up depending on the types of projects that would generally excite you.

Justin
  • 2. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    tx103108 Newbie
    Very good stuff. I would say that I am more concerned about job opportunities versus higher pay. Also, while not on the horizon, I can see the possibility (however slim it may seem) of someone buying out Informatica to get into the ETL 'game'. Of course, this would not be an issue with PL/SQL per se.

I plan to retire in 10 years - where should I put my technical "eggs" if given the choice between PL/SQL Developer or Informatica Developer. I think the former but as I am sure you know 10 years is a long time in the IT world....

Any last thoughts?
  • 3. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    If you're planning on retiring in 10 years, then I'd really focus on things like the job market in your particular area along with your existing strengths and weaknesses.

If you're getting close to retirement, you're probably not looking to move for new jobs. That means that you've got a lot of ties to the local job market. If you've got a large employer with a pile of Informatica work in your city, for example, your job market might be highly different than the general country- or world-wide job market.

If you've got a lot of experience, you'd probably want to look for new technologies that are complimentary to existing skills you've got. PL/SQL development skills are probably a better compliment to a track record of developing applications in other languages. Informatica skills are probably a better compliment to a lot of data analysis/ data validation skills.

You've also probably got a good sense of your strengths and weaknesses, which could be critical. If you've got a "niche" skill set, like Informatica, a potential employer looking for that particular niche skill is far more likely to overlook various downsides (including age bias/ overqualification) than they would if you've got a general purpose skill and you're competing with hundreds of other resumes. On the other hand, if you interview really well and have an extensive network of contacts, it may be far easier for you to get one of the larger pool of PL/SQL developer jobs.

Justin
  • 4. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    tx103108 Newbie
    Thanks again for your feedback Justin.
  • 5. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    1000418 Newbie
    according to my opinion if someone consider ETL tool development vs PL/SQL I believe there will be less job opportunities for a person with ETL tool experience than pl SQL engineer ..

Still considering the salaries there is a higher probability of earning more than a PL/SQL developper..

Considering 10 year period cus ETL field is a niche, more likely career advancements and salary increases will be more frequent.

Regards,

Prasad
  • 6. Re: PL/SQL versus Informatica (an ETL tool for DataWarehouse apps)
    Paul Horth Expert
    997415 wrote:
    according to my opinion if someone consider ETL tool development vs PL/SQL I believe there will be less job opportunities for a person with ETL tool experience than pl SQL engineer ..

Still considering the salaries there is a higher probability of earning more than a PL/SQL developper..

Considering 10 year period cus ETL field is a niche, more likely career advancements and salary increases will be more frequent.

Regards,

Prasad
    Why are you replying to a 6 year old thread? He's probably retired by now!