This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 4:43 AM by MahirM.Quluzade RSS

VALID_FOR & Parameter files

1000166 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all,

1) If choose not to use the VALID_FOR attribute to configure destinations, you must maintain two database server parameter files (SPFILEs) for each database: one for when the database is in the primary role and the other for the standby role. Am i correct?

2) How to check if the Physical standby(10.2.0.4) has ever been open read-only?

Thanks in advance.

With regards
  • 1. Re: VALID_FOR & Parameter files
    Mihael Pro
    1) If choose not to use the VALID_FOR attribute to configure destinations, you must maintain two database server parameter files (SPFILEs) for each database: one for when the database is in the primary role and the other for the standby role. Am i correct?
    Yes, if you will perform switchover/failover. VALID_FOR shows when the parameter is active.

>
    You can check alert.log of standby database.
  • 2. Re: VALID_FOR & Parameter files
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi,

Welcome to OTN Forums!

>
    VALID FOR property depend is in log_archive_dest_n parameters value.
    When we are using data guard, then we must set VALID FOR online logs for primary role for transformation to standby side.

VALID FOR using for standby role for cascaded standby destination. if you using cascaded standby destination, then you must set on first standby database:
    LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2= 'SERVICE=denver VALID_FOR=(STANDBY_LOGFILES,STANDBY_ROLE)  DB_UNIQUE_NAME=denver'
    denver is second standby database.
    >
    select open_mode from  v$database;
    Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points