4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 9:15 AM by CraigB RSS

Convert FORMS to JAVA SWING APP

Hello everybody,
      I have had difficulty converting my files Oracle Forms in a Java Swing application.
      I use Forms [32 bits] Version 5.0.6.8.0
      Does anyone have any tutorial to help me do this conversion?
        • 1. Re: Convert FORMS to JAVA SWING APP
          GregorM
          Hi.

What exactly would you like to achieve here. If you are talking converting Oracle Forms to real Java Swing application then I am afraid there is a bad news. It can't be done that easily. As a matter of fact I do not know any "conversation" tool able to do that. So the only way is to reprogram it manually.
          But if you have in mind migrating forms to the web then there are better news for you. Although it could be things will not be as straight as you imagine. I would suggest you read migration manual written by Oracle first.

Best regards
          • 2. Re: Convert FORMS to JAVA SWING APP
            Michael Ferrante-Oracle
            As mentioned, there is no way to completely convert an Oracle Forms application to java. Because of proprietary functionality in Forms, fully converting is not possible. There are some third party companies that offer a service where they will perform a partial conversion for you (for a fee). However again, there is no way to get a 1 to 1 conversions. Some of the java code will need to be manually engineered.

Consider upgrading to the latest Forms/Reports version which is 11.1.2.1. With web deployed Forms you can access server side java and create client side java (beans) which will give you a much more rich UI than with a standard web application.

Information about the latest Forms version can be found here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms/
            • 3. Re: Convert FORMS to JAVA SWING APP
              You can migrate from Oracle Forms Oracle Forms 5 to 11?
              • 4. Re: Convert FORMS to JAVA SWING APP
                CraigB
                You can migrate from Oracle Forms Oracle Forms 5 to 11?
                Yes, but you will likely need to upgrade from Forms 5 to Forms 6i first. Then you can upgrade from Forms 6i to Forms 11g. Take a look at the Using the Oracle Forms Migration Assistant topic in the Forms documenation for more information.

Hope this helps.
                Craig...