This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 10:22 AM by rthampi RSS

Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)

rthampi Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys

Is it possible to host Oracle forms & reports based application using Weblogic Server 12c? The documentations do not exclusively confirm the same, other than the ability to use applications in cloud. We are planning to move to web, as we are running into multiple issues with client/server (6i) applications on both Windows 7/8 OS

regards,

raj
  • 1. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    No version of Forms/Reports is supported with WLS 12. Forms/Reports 11.1.x is supported with WLS 10.3.x. Older versions of Forms/Reports are not supported with any WLS version.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/fusion-certification-100350.html

Edited by: Michael Ferrante (Oracle) on Apr 1, 2013 10:17 AM
  • 2. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    rthampi Explorer
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) wrote:
    No version of Forms/Reports is supported with WLS 12. Forms/Reports 11.1.x is supported with WLS 10.3.x. Older versions of Forms/Reports are not supported with any WLS version.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/fusion-certification-100350.html

Edited by: Michael Ferrante (Oracle) on Apr 1, 2013 10:17 AM
    Hi Michael
    We are well informed this part. What if we migrate the forms & reports developed using 6i to the recent versions? I mean we migrate the 6i forms to 11.x?

regards,

raj
  • 3. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    As previously mentioned, no version of Forms/Reports is supported with WLS 12.  Forms/Reports 11.1.x is supported with WLS 10.3.x. This is true regardless of whether you are upgrading or not. If you refer to the product certification guides you can see this in writing.
  • 4. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    995412 Newbie
    You have some choices ahead of you

upgrade Forms 6i to altleast 10g (coding jump between 6 and 10 is huge ), not sure if you can go from 6 to 11 so look that up going from 10 to 11 was simple.

ok so if you upgrade to 10g you can run on oas10gr2

if you upgrade to 11g you can either goto 11.1.2.1 (forms + reports standalone) or 11.1.1.6.0 forms, reports, portal, discoverer (decide this 1st as this is where your weblogic version comes in)

11.1.2.1 is supported on weblogic 10.3.5
    11.1.1.6 is supported on weblogic 10.3.6

we run 11.1.1.6.0 PFRD with only forms and reports configured running on weblogic 10.3.6 (original migration was from 10g forms to 11.1.1.4 and weblogic 10.3.4)

the minor upgrades for both forms and weblogic arn't too taxing

Mark
  • 5. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    Just for clarification:

1. It is possible to go directly from 6.0.8 to 11.1.x in some cases. If your application is already web deployed and/or if your application does not use legacy built-ins or features not supported in a web environment you generally can go directly to Forms 11. Refer to the Upgrading from 6i to 11g documentation for more information. It is availble in the documentation library. Here is the one for 11.1.2.1

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38115_01/index.htm

2. Forms/Reports 11.1.2.1 is supported with either WLS 10.3.5 or 10.3.6

3. FMw 11gR1 Patch 6 (11.1.1.7) was released yesterday, so the latest versions are 11.1.1.7 and 11.1.2.1. Both are supported with WLS 10.3.6 and neither are supported with WLS 12.
  • 6. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    rthampi Explorer
    992409 wrote:
    You have some choices ahead of you

upgrade Forms 6i to altleast 10g (coding jump between 6 and 10 is huge ), not sure if you can go from 6 to 11 so look that up going from 10 to 11 was simple.

ok so if you upgrade to 10g you can run on oas10gr2

if you upgrade to 11g you can either goto 11.1.2.1 (forms + reports standalone) or 11.1.1.6.0 forms, reports, portal, discoverer (decide this 1st as this is where your weblogic version comes in)

11.1.2.1 is supported on weblogic 10.3.5
    11.1.1.6 is supported on weblogic 10.3.6

we run 11.1.1.6.0 PFRD with only forms and reports configured running on weblogic 10.3.6 (original migration was from 10g forms to 11.1.1.4 and weblogic 10.3.4)

the minor upgrades for both forms and weblogic arn't too taxing

Mark
    Hi Mark

You have made all the stuff look promising once again! We are using Oracle ERP R12 and do maintain a huge list of legacy applications, which are business mandatory. Having no hopes to migrate minimum few of those applications force us to stick to Windows XP! while almost all the boxes are shipped from the factories with either Windows 7 or 8 Pre-installed.

As you have taken the efforts to answer this post, can you please provide me few details like

I was lucky enough to have a copy of installation source for WebLogic Server 10.3.3 and it is already installed and test environment has been configured and accessible.
    We lack technical know how, to setup forms & reports right now. Can you please provide us some valid documentation using which we can setup the forms 11.x repository and link it with WebLogic Server?

Thanks and in advance

raj
  • 7. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    All of the Fusion Middleware 11 documentation can be found here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/fusion-middleware/documentation/index.html
  • 8. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    995412 Newbie
    Hi Raj,

These are the steps I did for our OAS upgrade in an xterm session :

Installed weblogic 10.3.4 software (replace this with 10.3.[5/6]) (do not create domain,, just install the software) remember to user OFA for your pathing, it will help if you start using more middleware products /u01/oracle/Middleware for example would be the middleware home with wlserver_10.3 beneath that

Install install forms & reports again software only (if you go down the PFRD route, you have to install the 11.1.1.2.0 install and then patch to 11.1.1.4.0 and patch again to 11.1.1.6.0 (install takes 80 minutes, each patch about 50 minutes) for the install you choose all software

setup you environment have your jave home set (use jdk 1.6.0 u24 - 33 ) you might get issues trying to use java 7 (thats a seperate upgrade process)

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin (this would be /u01/oracle/Middleware/<install of binaries path>/bin)

./config.sh &

choose your domain name wisely the default is classic_domain, I changed ours to FormsReports (what ever you chose will appear in your file path and process paths)
    admin user and passowrd etc..

for the software config select all and un-select the discoverer and portal option leave everything else (we do deployed realtime compilation from source controlled libaries so we have installed the compilers also)

the config.sh once your get to the configure summary, will create your node manager, weblogic domain, AdminServer, WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS managed servers, once the configure completes and exits you'll be able to http://localhost:7001/console

You'll need the below info to restart the JVM's the installers starts each jvm by the scripts located below (with no nodemanager setup)

your .profile settings will need the PATHS for $ORACLE_HOME/bin, $JAVA_HOME/bin setting as well asn your /usr bin settings, LD_LIBRARY_PATH will need $ORACLE_HOME/lib, $JAVA_HOME/lib

also create aliases for your domain home $domain_dir = /u01/oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/classic_domain under the bin directory will be the startweblogic script and start manageded servers scripts (manual) i'll leave the fun of automation up for you :) there are enough blogs and 3 different ways of doing it, the node manager startup script is in $WLS_HOME/server/bin

to configure your forms.cfg, httpd.conf etc you will find all those in

$mwHOME/instance/config (or whatever you had your instance path set to), the forms.cfg and default.env files are DEEP down the root 7 or 8 sub directories down so make a symlink once you locate it) you can reuse most of your default.env and forms.cfg settings form your 6i install

and good luck

the above is pretty much what i did if you want step by step guides again there are enough blogs you can google to cover installing, configuring, autostartup(node manager setup)

Remember to Patch the bsu (BEA Smart Update with version 3.30 so you can apply CPU weblogic patches, theres one for JAN 2013 for 11.1.1.6.0) weblogic does not use OPatch regardless of what the readme file says :)

Edit: Almost forgot your opmn services, in your profile set ORACLE_INSTANCE=$mwHOME/instance (/u01/oracle/Middleware/instance) then you can run opmnctl (add $ORACLE_HOME/opmn/bin to path)

opmnctl status

Processes in Instance: PFRD_Inst
    --------------------------------------------------------------+---------
    ias-component | process-type | pid | status
    --------------------------------------------------------------+---------
    emagent_PFRD_Inst | EMAGENT | 29078 | Alive
    RptSvr_hostname_PFRD_Inst | ReportsServerComp~ | 29075 | Alive
    webcache1 | WebCache-admin | 29073 | Alive
    webcache1 | WebCache | 29074 | Alive
    ohs1 | OHS | 29072 | Alive

remember your opmn services look after the apache server and webcache if these aren't running you r will get forms/reports errors, like backend bridge failure if ohs is down, or nothing displayed 404 errors if webcache is down

Mark

Edited by: 992409 on 02-Apr-2013 09:44
  • 9. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    995412 Newbie
    And thanks Michael for the patch info .. now i got to plan another patch cycle .. yay
  • 10. Re: Weblogic 12c, is it possible to migrate Oracle forms and reports (legacy)
    rthampi Explorer
    Thank you very much Marc. I got the idea, even though our requirement is to setup a Windows environment.

regards,

raj

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points