2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 7:15 AM by mseberg RSS

Information on unknown rman backup file

Karthik Chandran
      Hi,

I have RMAN backup piece, and no information on this RMAN backup piece.

Is there any why to get the this backup piece information like which Oracle Database version the backup was fired on, database SID, backup timing and such.

Please help me out on this.

Regards,
      Karthik Chandran
        • 1. Re: Information on unknown rman backup file
          Troll35
          Hello,

You can find some of those information in the name of the files. Most of the time, there is the SID of the database, or the timestamp of the backup. If you have the autobackup of the controlfile, you will have the DBID which will be useful to restore.

You can also try the CATALOG command in RMAN (10g and above) to find the DBID and SID of the database that created the file. The CATALOG command itself will fail if you are not connected to the database that created the backup, but it will return you those information.

Regarding the version, it is hard to tell.
          If you have an autobackup of the controlfile (filename begins with CF), then it is 9i or above.
          If you have OMF files (Oracle Managed Files) , then it is 10g or above.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Information on unknown rman backup file
            mseberg
            Hello;

If its in a catalog you can use the view RC_BACKUP_PIECE_DETAILS and the HANDLE column to tie it back to a DB_ID.

If it's not in a catalog you can use the view V$BACKUP_PIECE_DETAILS database by database to do the same thing.

Best Regards

mseberg