This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 4:43 AM by 980503 RSS

Career related problem

980503 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi i have 15 months experience and just started my career.
i have not done any significant work really so far.

I have been assigned to a very good development project in Telecom domain.They want a senior oracle developer but since they are not getting one they took me.They
told its a challenging position and i would have to work alone.

But the problem is i will have to relocate to different city which is quite far from my hometown and i really don't want to go there.:(.The place really sucks
Should i let go this project and wait for another chance so i get the project in the same city? :)

Suggestions from experts .

thanks & regards,

from india
  • 1. Re: Career related problem
    WhiteHat Expert
    my initial impression is that if they want a senior developer but are only able to get someone who has 15 months experience (no offence intended), then they likely do not understand that they need to pay more to get senior people. their expectations of you will be higher than they probably should be and you're likely going to encounter problems similar to this in other areas of the business.

however: if it gets you into a city where there are more better job opportunities, then it could be a good foot in the door stepping stone.
  • 2. Re: Career related problem
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Oracle_Monkey wrote:
    Hi i have 15 months experience and just started my career.
    i have not done any significant work really so far.

I have been assigned to a very good development project in Telecom domain.They want a senior oracle developer but since they are not getting one they took me.They

But the problem is i will have to relocate to different city which is quite far from my hometown and i really don't want to go there.:(.The place really sucks
    Should i let go this project and wait for another chance so i get the project in the same city? :)

Suggestions from experts .
    Look at the facts...

1. by your own admission you have little experience or exposure to serious/significant development work.
    2. They are looking for someone who is a senior developer i.e. someone with good experience and knowledge
    3. They're not finding an experienced person - reason a) possibly not offering enough money b) such people recognise the location for the job is undesirable
    4. You would have to work alone, so you're not going to get any support from other more experienced developers (and you cannot rely on getting answers to all your issues online)
    5. You would be located far from your hometown (which is obviously important to you otherwise you wouldn't mention it)
    6. You already say you don't want to go there because the place sucks.

I think you have already answered your own question. Looking at the facts... I cannot see anything positive mentioned about this job.
  • 3. Re: Career related problem
    APC Oracle ACE
    This is a technical forum not a careers one. On this topic any advice you get from a random bunch of strangers is pretty worthless.

With that caveat in mind look at it this way. Two months after you take the job the company will have forgotten that they wanted a senior developer and settled for you because they couldn't get anybody with more experience. They will judge you by the demands of the job, not how well you're doing under the circumstances. It's an absolute metric.

Because if you muck up your work that has a knock-on effect on the company's business.

So, instead of answers here are some questions for you to ponder:

# How talented do you think you are?
    # How talented are you really?
    # Do you feel lucky?

Cheers, APC
  • 4. Re: Career related problem
    Oracle Maniac Explorer
    Agree to what APC wrote(This is not a career forum). I don't think what you are assuming is right . A telecom domain project ,in no case ,can be handled by a single database person and that too with an year of experience.I have never seen more data than what is generated in form of CDRs in telecom industry. For a fresher ,place shouldn't be a constraint and at the end of the you sleep in a 10*10 bed room and spend 60 percent of your time inside your office premises.Work in one good development project and you are going to be a life long beneficiary because people often don't get development projects in India(completely my opinion).Find it out and even if there are a few people accompanying you in your project then go for it ,coz this challenge would be worrying the stakeholders more than you .:)

Thanks,

Rahul
  • 5. Re: Career related problem
    Manik Expert
    They
    So u scared of challenges?
    Give it a try, face challenge, learn hard... nothing is impossible ...(Oracle is created by Humans afterall not GOD by his own :-) so u can crack any challenge)
    Get some oracle certifications under your belt before starting the project that should give you more confidence..

Cheers,
    Manik.
  • 6. Re: Career related problem
    John Stegeman Oracle ACE
    Get some oracle certifications under your belt before starting the project
    In my opinion - completely useless.
  • 7. Re: Career related problem
    Manik Expert
    I would not argue that :D
    Just for OP confidence boost.

Cheers,
    Manik.
  • 8. Re: Career related problem
    jeneesh Guru
    Manik wrote:
    Just for OP confidence boost.
    And to make him loose some money..
  • 9. Re: Career related problem
    Manik Expert
    Cant b'lve, members of OTN forums would oppose oracle certifications to this extent :)

Cheers,
    Manik.
  • 10. Re: Career related problem
    1001010 Newbie
    Please don't miss such opportunities.Big Opportunities like this come once in life.Take the advantage and move on.
  • 11. Re: Career related problem
    Oracle Maniac Explorer
    I completely agree
  • 12. Re: Career related problem
    651776 Newbie
    If they did not find someone else and you have to trave maybe you can ask for extra money because you have to travel or moved and ask for extra money to travel to your original city. About the chalenge job depends of what you want, for me it looks as an important possibility to improve your knowledge but you are going to spend time investigating. Also you can talk about the possibility to return after some time. Is there many job oportunities in your actual city?
  • 13. Re: Career related problem
    Chris Hunt Journeyer
    Ultimately you have to make up your own mind on this one, but here are a few things to consider:

The Job: How challenging is it really? How well does your experience fit you to meet that challenge? What (if any) support would you be able to draw upon - maybe there are people in the company that you could go to for occasional advice/mentoring even if they weren't working on the project every day?

Clearly your prospective employers think you're capable of doing the job. If you're having doubts, maybe you should have some dialogue with them to get them to convince you (which would be an interesting reversal of the usual interview process!).

The Location: So the place really sucks eh? Most cities do, especially when viewed from outside. If you actually lived there, you'd probably find all kinds of non-sucky things about it. Living away from friends and family can be a real negative, but you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

The Alternative: What are job prospects like in your home city? If you pass this chance up, is something better likely to come along? Are you working at the moment? If not, how long can you afford to look for work?

The Potential: It sounds like this job would be really throwing you in at the deep end - but maybe that'll make you a stronger swimmer!
  • 14. Re: Career related problem
    Shahzad.H.Magsi Newbie
    Dude u should take the risk because even if it sucks to go to the other city, no matter what hardships you take at the end of the day going to gain a lot of great experience which will help you become mature and real programmer. so don't worry just believe in your God and yourself.

Cheers.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points