3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 11:16 AM by 1001377 RSS

Virtual box install ?

I have been trying to download the oracle express R2 on my laptop and found that I cannot do this as I have a vista home premium 32bit os installed. I was advised that I could download the virtualbox and then install oracle dbase on here, I have downloaded and installed the virtual box but it will not install the oracle dbase as it is not a OVF file. Does anyone know where I can get this or how I can change my unpacked dbase installation software onto virtual box software.

I am new to this so a step by step guide would be appreciate.

Thank you

NB: I have reopened this thread here as I was informed it was in the wrong place I am trying to install a virtual machine now to run my oracle on. I understand that I have to install on Virtual box microsoft windows and then I can run oracle on that. I will be back if I have problems with this.

Thank you all for your help so far.
        • 1. Re: Virtual box install ?
          EdStevens
          hollyox1 wrote:
          I have been trying to download the oracle express R2 on my laptop and found that I cannot do this as I have a vista home premium 32bit os installed. I was advised that I could download the virtualbox and then install oracle dbase on here, I have downloaded and installed the virtual box but it will not install the oracle dbase as it is not a OVF file. Does anyone know where I can get this or how I can change my unpacked dbase installation software onto virtual box software.

I am new to this so a step by step guide would be appreciate.

Thank you

NB: I have reopened this thread here as I was informed it was in the wrong place I am trying to install a virtual machine now to run my oracle on. I understand that I have to install on Virtual box microsoft windows and then I can run oracle on that. I will be back if I have problems with this.

Thank you all for your help so far.
          Aside from the animated discussion between rp0428 and JohnWatson, did you read any of the responses in that earlier thread? To repeat myself:

Do you understand what VBox is and how it is used?
          VBox is a virtualzation product, a direct competitor to VMworkstation. It create virtual machines. It doesn't know anything about databases. You use it to define a virtual machine, then install an operating system on that virtual machine. Once you have a virtual machine running an operating system, you can treat it just like a physical machine and install products like Oracle rdbms on it.

Please refer to the link supplied by Marcus. As a supplement to some specific problems, you may find these helpful:

see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/category/personal-test-systems/]configure the Virtual Box Network
          • 2. Re: Virtual box install ?
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Another duplicate post - virtual box install ?

Pl see one of my replies in your many threads where I suggest you take a look at my blog for detailed steps on how to install Virtualbox and then install 11gR2 in the Virtualbox VM

HTH
            Srini

Edited by: Srini Chavali on Apr 4, 2013 9:30 AM
            • 3. Re: Virtual box install ?
              Another thing to keep in mind with Windows Vista 32 Bit is that there is a 4 GB limit of phsical memory that can be allocated to the OS. See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

Oracle 11gR2 requires a minimum of 1 GB and 2 GB is recommended. So that means you would have to create a Virtualbox VM with enough RAM for the VM OS and the Oracle database to run as well as leave enough RAM for Windows Vista to run. I would imagine that if you get it to run that it's going to be painfully slow.

Personally I think Virtualbox is great on Windows when you are using a Windows 64 bit OS (Windows 7 is good) with at least 8 GB of RAM or higher.

Even though this is the Vista "Home" edition you could try just installing the Windows version of Oracle to see if it will work. If it does at least you are not introducing the overhead of attempting to run another OS on top of the current one.

Alfredo