6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 1:31 PM by dtwtech RSS

Export to MS Project 2010

dtwtech
      Client doesn't wish to purchase Primavera and so wants project records delivered as MS Project files. Might be having a dense moment here, but I have been unable to successfully export my project (Release 8.2.0) to MS Project 2010 and find the Primavera Help files provide inadequate guidance and MS Project no help at all. There is nothing fancy about my project -- no buckets or such.

Surely a better guide to achieving this export is available -- would someone please point me in that direction?

Thanks,

Dan
        • 1. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
          Have you reviewed the log file (maybe located at .....\AppData\Local\Temp\) to see the details of the error? Could you post the errors? Did you see the warning about Cost Types in the Help files?
          • 2. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
            dtwtech
            Saw the warning, am not using any cost types. The latest file created at that location is mspTemplate.properties - looks like this:

minutesPerDay=480
            minutesPerWeek=2400
            weekStartDay=0
            durationFormat=5
            workFormat=2
            wbsSummarizationLevel=12
            wbsCodeSeparator=.
            resourceFieldToResourceId=Name
            importFixedCostAsExpense=1
            importMilestoneAssignmentsAsExpenses=1
            currencyId=USD
            currencyExchangeRate=1
            currencySymbol=$
            currencyDigits=2
            noteMapProject=Description
            noteMapWbs=Description
            noteMapActivity=Description
            allNotebookTopics=1
            taskFieldToActivityId=ID
            activityIdToTaskText=1
            baselineForPlannedData=0
            summaryTaskToWbsSummary=0
            summaryTaskFieldToWbsCode=WBS

Did not find a file relating directly to "log".
            • 3. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
              I think you're looking for a file named PROJECTNAME.primavera.xsltLog.txt

Does the dialog box say there are errors after the export?
              • 4. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
                dtwtech
                The msgbox tells me there are errors but does not specify what those errors are. The only new file in the location specified contains the info shown above.

Looks like I'm gonna learn MSProject. Oh well, it's another something to put on my resume.
                • 5. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
                  As I understand it, there needs to be a MSProject 2010 licence installed on your PC/Laptop.

Failing this, export as MPP or XML

AA
                  • 6. Re: Export to MS Project 2010
                    dtwtech
                    "As I understand it, there needs to be a MSProject 2010 licence installed on your PC/Laptop."

MSProject is installed on this laptop.

"Failing this, export as MPP or XML"

Sometimes following directions is not the best route... that's what led to the difficulties I'd been experiencing. Exporting as MPP instead of any of the xml options worked -- at least to what seems to be an acceptable extent. The log file, taken on a line-by-line basis, was about 35% error messages; the output to MSProject appears (at a quick glance) to be acceptable output.

Thanks for the help,

Dan