1 2 3 4 Previous Next 111 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 12:09 PM by Sonyabarry-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
        jgarry
        If real intelligence can't figure out when it is or is not reasonable to continue an old thread, why would artificial be expected to be better?

Speaking of continuation, I tend to ramble off onto tangents in threads, and I've always felt that is a good thing about threaded conversations. Of course, many people have a more categorical attitude and think that's not a good thing. There ought to be a way of teeing threads to form new ones.

For example, let's say Newbie A posts a question about backups that some people think miss the point. Guru B says to use EM. Guru C says never to use EM. Guru D makes a DBA 2.0 comment and so on until mod locks it. Shouldn't there be a way to tee off to a DBA 2.0 thread, without teeing people off? (sorry!) Without burdening moderators, of course. If Guru D makes a new thread referencing the old one, the others may or may not ever see it, even though we'd all like to see every thread ever posted.

User settings for inappropriateness would be nice, though I can understand why people want all such things verboten. That's what usenet is for :p
        • 16. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
          Catch_22
          To my understanding, there is a difference between hijacking a thread or adding content to solve a problem.

A thread hijack by my definition, means to take advantage of an existing thread to solve my own problem. I think it is a lazy "me too" and somewhat rude attitude. The actual or real problem outlined by the OP may not necessarily be the same problem and it will shift the focus from the OP to the person who hijacked the post. In addition, the poster who hijacks a thread cannot assign points to answers and should not provide the conclusion in return to the OP. I categorically ignore hijacked threads. I have no problem however if someone provides a link or reference to another thread with a similar or same problem.

As far as adding suggestions or troubleshooting content to a thread, I think there should be a time limit. Reviving a thread that has been quiet for month or years in my opinion means someone is using an old thread to stir a fire, or perhaps did not realize the age of a thread by accident. The previous thread participants may no longer monitor the thread and cannot defend their previous position. In any case, it is better to create a new thread and include a link for reference if desired.

Speaking of locking a thread, I think the current way is fair enough. I sometimes wonder if it was nice to be able to lock and unlock my own posts, but on the other hand, this is a public forum and everyone should have the right to comment regardless of whether the OP want's it or not. With the exception of the mentioned above. Anyway, I cannot image any automated way other than personal moderation to determine such issues.
          • 17. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
            Catch_22
            I think an email interface is a useful option, in particular for any handheld devices. It reminds me of Usenet. But I hope this will be an option and is not going to become a mandatory function. The experience will probably depend on posting delays and resulting content, for example, how much unnecessary text and quoting such postings will have and how the interface will deal with rich text or html content.

Does "questions and comments" also include suggestions?
            • 18. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
              SomeoneElse
              We had what we needed 6 years ago.

I don't know, was that Jive back then? Whatever, it worked.

We had tracking of new and updated threads since our last visit. And the various thread/post counters worked too.

None of that useless syntax coloring. The point system was non-existent.

Wasn't it the upgrade in 2008 where it began to go downhill?
              • 19. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                fac586
                SomeoneElse wrote:

That and Oracle's insistence on merging the forums from all of their various acquisitions.
                • 20. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                  jgarry
                  fac586 wrote:
                  SomeoneElse wrote:

That and Oracle's insistence on merging the forums from all of their various acquisitions.
                  I seem to recall hearing lots of complaints from the Sun folk that their better hack (or h4x0rz) of jive was lost, or something of that nature.
                  • 21. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                    fac586
                    jgarry wrote:
                    fac586 wrote:
                    SomeoneElse wrote:

I seem to recall hearing lots of complaints from the Sun folk that their better hack (or h4x0rz) of jive was lost, or something of that nature.
                    If we're getting more from Jive then Oracle's hack needs to be infinitely better than Apple's (https://discussions.apple.com/community/), which is indescribably awful.
                    • 22. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                      Catch_22
                      It sometimes seems that everything that generates a buck or is simply bold enough will finally succeed or prevail. In retrospect, the betrayal was often introduced in small steps in order to dim the greater picture and gain wide acceptance, making it difficult to object in the end.

It is obviously easy for IT products and especially IT management to become self-justifying since it is not possible for the majority to evaluate the true nature of technical justifications. IT and the Internet is not necessarily the source of evil, so to speak, but may have become even a tool to manage or compromise free or unbiased opinion and what is considered privacy and hence freedom.

Times are difficult for people with high moral standards and conventional thinking. However, it might be helpful at times to reconsider whether some conventional thinking is just based on a widely accepted assumption or really true.
                      • 23. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                        jgarry
                        There's a TV show called Monday Mornings, about hospital meetings to review surgical screwups. In the latest episode, one doctor says "privacy is dead, get over it." I lol'd at the possible [url http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/state-of-the-web-who-killed-privacy/]Scott McNealy reference, I would wonder if that origin is known to the writers.

All conventional thinking is based on widely held assumptions. It's more scientific if those assumptions are explicit and testable. Difficulty teasing out the testability or confounding variables is why some science is called soft. When you start trying to mix math and soft science, as for example, economics and politics to come up with, say, free market theories, you wind up making incorrect value judgments, like one product is better than another because it is more successful. If you apply a technical view to that, it is obviously wrong (come on, Excel? Really?), but he who has the gold makes the rules.
                        • 24. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                          Catch_22
                          I have a few questions:

a) Will my "saved watches" be carried over to the new system?
                          b) Is the new system supporting the same formatting codes for the displaying of code, bold and strike-through text, etc.?
                          c) Is there going to be a migration process of existing posts and will all posts be carried over to the new forum?

Thanks.
                          • 25. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                            HamidHelal
                            <font size="9">I just want all the rich text formatting option in the post editor.</font>
                            • 26. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                              bigdelboy
                              HamidHelal wrote:
                              <font size="1">I just want all the rich text formatting option in the post editor.</font>
                              Then I wish "shouting" to be added to the "report abuse" list ;)
                              • 27. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                                Christian Berg
                                Sometimes, reading the general Technology NetWork Community posts makes me feel like I'm reading bash ;)
                                • 28. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                                  jduprez
                                  Hello,
                                  Oracle should have received enough information from the survey last year to understand what is required. Unfortunately from what I've seen, I doubt that anything Jive-based is it.
                                  Are the results of this survey available somewhere on the forum or wiki?
                                  • 29. Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                                    Sonyabarry-Oracle
                                    Hi Dude,

Yes, feel free to make suggestions! I obviously cannot accomodate everything, but we'll see what's possible.

Watches should be saved, formatting will be retained, and we are moving all of the content.

Unfortunately, there will not be thread-level redirects across the board (this was most definitely NOT my choice), but I went through our traffic logs and have requested redirects for any post that was referred to by an external source that isn't a search engine going back two years, so the most popular threads won't break.

Sonya Barry
                                    Director of Community Infrastructure
                                    Community Manager Java.net and Oracle Technology Network
                                    1 2 3 4 Previous Next