This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 10:44 AM by InoL RSS

Forms application returns "ORA-01403 no data found" exception on Windows 7

999855 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

I am currently involved in an application compatibility project for an O/S migration from Windows XP to Windows 7.

We have a legacy Oracle Dev6i P18 Forms application that has been working perfectly on Windows XP for the last decade or so. When we installed the same application on Windows 7, it returned a pop-up error message with the text: "ORA-01403 no data found" when performing a certain operation (clicking on a Submit button in a specific form). The same operation works successfully on Windows XP displaying the message "Submit has been successful".

This error is well documented and the solution involves adding an exception handler to the faulting SQL statement(s) in order to handle the ORA-01403 exception. Unfortunately, the application is composed of compiled forms (.FMX) and we no longer have the source code so I can't implement this solution.

I ran a file comparison utility (WinDiff from the Windows SDK) and confirmed that all the files in the application folder and the Oracle Dev6i P18 folder are identical on both the Windows XP and Windows 7 systems.

I enabled tracing in SQLNet.ORA by configuring TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=SUPPORT (I know, too verbose) and other related settings on both systems and have uploaded the traces to my SkyDrive for public viewing:

http://sdrv.ms/10BNYtI

The traces show that the "ORA-01403" exception occurs many times on both Windows XP and Windows 7 systems as a result of various SQL statements being executed, for instance:

--

SELECT TASK_ID,TASK_DETAIL_STATUS,ASSIGNED_DATE FROM TASK_DETAILS WHERE TASK_ID = :b1 AND TASK_DETAIL_STATUS = (SELECT ID FROM V_TASK_STATUS WHERE ABBREVIATION = 'PLANNED' ) FOR UPDATE OF TASK_DETAIL_STATUS,ASSIGNED_DATE

UPDATE TASK_DETAILS SET ASSIGNED_DATE=NTMS_UTIL.GET_SERVER_DATE,TASK_DETAIL_STATUS=(SELECT ID FROM V_TASK_STATUS WHERE ABBREVIATION = 'ASSIGNED' ) WHERE ROWID = :b1

ORA-01403: no data found.

--

So the same error happens on both Windows XP and Windows 7.

On Windows XP, the error is somehow handled, and does not cause the "Submit" operation to fail.

On Windows 7, however, the error bubbles to the surface and is displayed to the user, thus halting the "Submit" operation.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points