This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 4:55 PM by Dude! RSS

HP Unix on Itanium and Oracle Linux on x86

1001133 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are moving from HPUX and Itanium to Oracle Linux on an x86 platofrm. The migration will take time. Do you foresee any problems with running both platforms including enabling RAC across both (11.2.0.3) until we fully migrate off HPUX and Itanium?
Also would anyone recommend against moving to Oracle Linux and x86?
  • 1. Re: HP Unix on Itanium and Oracle Linux on x86
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    998130 wrote:
    Do you foresee any problems with running both platforms including enabling RAC across both (11.2.0.3) until we fully migrate off HPUX and Itanium?
    are you asking to run a cluster with linux and hpux mixed? That propably does not work and is definitely not supported. The best you could hope for is to run replication between those platforms.

cheers
    bjoern
  • 2. Re: HP Unix on Itanium and Oracle Linux on x86
    Dude! Guru
    To confirm the previous response. As far as I'm aware, Oracle RAC does support a cluster with nodes that have different hardware configurations as long as they use the same operating system.

You might want to check the following thread:
    Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems

It might be a good idea to discuss Oracle RAC options in the appropriate forum.

Btw, didn't Oracle loose the case against HP and continues support for the Itanium platform?
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/02/01/oracle_loses_hp_itanium_appeal/
  • 3. Re: HP Unix on Itanium and Oracle Linux on x86
    bigdelboy Pro
    >

Hmmm ... case ongoing ... maybe even restarts April 8th.

http://h20341.www2.hp.com/integrity/us/en/systems/customer-oracle.html

.... Perhaps HP should just pay Larry to acquire itanium HP-UX and openVMS .... Itanium seems to be following PA-RISC and Alpha Risc ... sort of leaves openvVMS emulating on x86.

......... Mind you an openVMS port to sparc would probably be death of sparc .... porting (open)VMS seem to decease its underlying processor family.

..... guess this is still forum relevant as one can run openVMS emulating under linux .... though I've only done it on ubuntu and not under Oracle Linux which is forum relevant.

I agree OP would be very brave to try to cluster oracle Linux x86 and HP-UX itanium nodes in RAC ..... if successful I would offer a virtual 4 pack of guiness stout providing that was not illegal and ethically inappropriate incentive.

Edited by: bigdelboy on Apr 4, 2013 2:33 PM

Edited by: bigdelboy on Apr 4, 2013 2:34 PM
  • 4. Re: HP Unix on Itanium and Oracle Linux on x86
    Dude! Guru
    Interesting. You shouldn't have mentioned that. I managed systems under OpenVMS and Tru64 for many years and think OpenVMS it is the most system admin friendly OS that ever existed. I wish Linux had something like Ctrl-t and show proc/con and easy string manipulations like under DCL. Or was using a standard file system supporting file versions and RMS functions. Or supporting filesets sharing file domains like in AdvFS under Tru64 Unix. Etc., etc.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to do anything on the Itanium platform and cannot say if my positive experience with OpenVMS still applies. My current impression is while OpenVMS may still have some presence in the US, I'm wondering whether it is still used in Europe. Some DEC/HP engineer was explaining to me 10 years ago that the Alpha chip was a superior design than Itanium, which was apparently a huge step backwards, he said.

I would welcome a revival of OpenVMS, but I'm afraid only a very few people may appreciate and recognize its true beauty and value. After all, it's all business. Oracle Database has some history with DEC. For those who don't know, DEC sold the Rdb division to Oracle Corporation, which rebranded Oracle Rdb. Managing Oracle RDB and Oracle Database is a completely different story though.

I started to focus on Oracle Linux for the last years, because I find it an acceptable alternative with the most prosperous future. My first real contact with Linux was actually Slackware 2.1, but due to the lousy PC hardware and last not least the commercial aspects of RHEL and my work environment, I developed other interests. At least until I discovered Oracle Linux, which in my opinion brought back the spirit of a freely available Linux for the enterprise environment and is the perfect companion for Oracle database products.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points