This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 2:51 PM by CraigB RSS

Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..

bhatt t Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I just upgraded my old style menu-driven application from forms/reports 6i to 11gr2 and don't add features of 11gr2
still now. So, Its look like old one (6i).

So, please guide me what features should I add (like look-wise, working-wise, performance-wise etc.),
so that my application look like latest technology.

Thanks and Regards.
Bhatt.
  • 1. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    AbdurRahman Newbie
    hi,

were you able to call up all your forms correctly if so kindly share the steps you follow, it might help me also cause i am in the same process but some of my forms are not coming up when called from he menu bar.

Thanks
  • 2. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    bhatt t Newbie
    Hi Abdur,

All my forms/reports are working successfully in 11gr2 after taking upgradation steps as per
    Upgrading Oracle Forms 6i to Oracle Forms 11g.

Now, I want to add features of 11gr2.

Regards.

Edited by: 982164 on Apr 4, 2013 6:51 AM
  • 3. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    982164 wrote:
    Now, I want to add features of 11gr2.
    So you want to add features but you don't know what or why...? Fair enough ;)

Is there a specific problem you try to solve, or is it just a general "what's new"?

As for the general overview on what's new google gives a very good impression about that:

http://www.google.com/search?q=forms+11gR2+new+features+-site%3Adba-oracle.com

e.g.
    https://blogs.oracle.com/grantronald/entry/oracle_forms_and_reports_new

cheers
  • 4. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    CraigB Guru
    The biggest difference between Forms 6i and Forms 11g is: 1) the ability to use features of the 11g database, 2) use Java Beans in your form to extend/enhance the functionaly and look-n-feel, 3) import Java directly into your form and interact with the Java through PL/SQL, 4) and most importantly, it is the current supported version of Forms. These are just the highlights. There are other differences.

In all honesty, what features you use should be driven by the needs of your customer. If your customer needs the application to use the response from a web service, then I would look at implementing a Java Bean in your app to support this customer driven need. I wouldn't recommend adding features just for the sake of adding features if they don't provide direct benefit to your customer. Just my opinion. :)

Hope this helps,
    Craig...
  • 5. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    bhatt t Newbie
    Hi Christian & Craig,

Thanks for ur advice !

I don't have specific problem till now.

My application upgraded from 6i to 11g, but still it looks/working just like 6i, and only a minor differences are shown as below;
    1. Its now a Browser-based.
    2. No client installation (but still compatible Browser and Java is needed).

So, after so many days in upgrading my application, results are not satisfactory.

That's why I want to new features.

Craig, advice me to for JAVA BEANS.

Sir, I have only experience in Forms/Report. So, please guide me should I go for *Java Beans or JDeveloper or ADF etc,
    which one suit best to my experience*. Give me some more stuff please.

Please guide me again sir.

Warm Regards.
  • 6. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    bhatt t Newbie
    Hi Christian & Craig,

Thanks for ur advice !

I don't have specific problem till now.

My application upgraded from 6i to 11g, but still it looks/working just like 6i, and only minor differences are shown as below;
    1. Its now a Browser-based.
    2. No client installation (but still compatible Browser and Java is needed) required.

So, after so many days in upgrading my application, results are not satisfactory.

Sir, I have only experience in Forms/Report. So, please guide me should I go for Java Beans or JDeveloper or ADF etc,
    which one suit best to my experience. Give me some more stuff please.

Please guide me again sir.

Warm Regards.
  • 7. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    Christian Erlinger Guru

and what is it you don't find satisfactory? If you need assistance or advice on specific things then feel free to ask, but you need to add more details (e.g. "how would I open a file dialog?"). As for general advice for e.g. Java Beans this would exceed a single thread. As the name implies Java Beans are written in Java, so I guess you should start learning java if you want to learn how to use Java Beans. For Oracle Forms Java Beans there is tons of stuff availabe, you just need to make use of google.

cheers
  • 8. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    HamidHelal Guru
    >
    Want to feel something different ??
    Visit this.. Look & Feel

Don't ask question about this here... it's not supplied by oracle. It's has dedicated mail address. ;)

Hamid
  • 9. Re: Features Difference between 6i and 11gr2 (forms/reports)..
    CraigB Guru
    Take a look at Francois Degrelle's blog: A new site for Oracle Forms PJC and javabeans for information about using and creating Forms Java Beans.

Craig...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points