This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 8:54 AM by rukbat RSS

Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit

995709 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The title pretty much says it all, I can't run anything requiring Java, I can't run Java Control Panel, I can't do anything really. I get no error messages or anything when trying to start. Nothing happens at all.
Installation seems to work fine, no error messages. I've tried reinstalling as well as installing different versions. I've tried using JavaRa to ensure clean installs.

Please, help me. :(
  • 1. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    995709 Newbie
    To clarify, I can run neither web-based java apps (the java-test isn't working), nor can I run .jar files, nor can I start java control panel from the windows control panel.

Edited by: 992706 on Mar 10, 2013 3:16 PM
  • 2. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Check to see if Windows DEP is blocking the java.exe or javaw.exe process. If you are not familar with this setting, please refer to the Microsoft documentation:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-data-execution-prevention-settings

If you have it set to "+*Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only*+" then this is not your issue. However, if you choose to set it to "+*Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select*+", then you must ensure that java.exe and javaw.exe are added to the exceptions list.
  • 3. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    [removed Widows 8 content, Missed Windows 7 in the title]

Some thoughts,

You may want to check to see a standalone version of JavaFX is installed on the system. If so remove. Then you may need to reinstall 7u17.
    The installation was successful? No errors? It sounds like something in the installation did not complete in some way.
    Which binary did you download and install?
    Can you run java.exe from the command line, from the installed JRE directory?

-Roger

Edited by: RogerL (Oracle) on Mar 14, 2013 1:57 PM
  • 4. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    995709 Newbie
    Thanks for the replies.

@Michael,
    no DEP-block was active when I checked, so I guess that's not it. Thanks though.

@RogerL,
    I haven't experienced any problems during installation (no errors or anything, installation and uninstallation have been smooth every time).
    I was able to run java.exe from the command prompt, I'm not very good with that kind of stuff, but I did get a list of available operations (such as executing a .jar file), so I'm assuming it's working. I'm still not able to run java control panel though (even through cmd).
  • 5. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    Maybe it is unclear what is going on. Let's back up a few steps:

1. Are you a member of the Windows' Administrators group on this machine?
    2. Did you install the 64bit or 32bit JRE or both?
    3. Did you perform the installation? In other words, were you logged in as you when the installation was performed?
    4. Do you have any other major JRE version installed? For example 1.6.0_xx
    5. Have you tried any other version?
    6. When you performed the 7U17 installation, did you have a previous version installed which was upgraded or was this a clean install?

My recommendation is the following:

1. Uninstall ALL installed version of Java SE
    2. Reboot (not really necessary, but you never know ;) )
    3. Install 1.7.0_17 32bit
    4. Retest

If this works and you need the 64bit too, then you can install it. Both versions can co-exist.
  • 6. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    997760 Newbie
    Same problem on Windows 7 Pro 32bit. Forgot to use search and create other thread. Link to the thread JRE don't working on Nettop with Windows 7
    Please help.

@ Michael,
    1. Are you a member of the Windows' Administrators group on this machine? [yes]
    2. Did you install the 64bit or 32bit JRE or both? [32 only]
    3. Did you perform the installation? In other words, were you logged in as you when the installation was performed? [not understand]
    4. Do you have any other major JRE version installed? For example 1.6.0_xx [yes]
    5. Have you tried any other version? [yes]
    6. When you performed the 7U17 installation, did you have a previous version installed which was upgraded or was this a clean install? [clean offline and online install]

2. Reboot (not really necessary, but you never know )
    4. Retest

Make this steps(skip 2 step). No result.

Edited by: 994757 on 19.03.2013 20:58

Edited by: 994757 on 19.03.2013 21:04
  • 7. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    997760 Newbie
    Problem resolved.
    Thanks to Foxconn Support Team. Update BIOS help me.
    Good luck, all.
  • 8. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    995709 Newbie
    >
    Maybe it is unclear what is going on. Let's back up a few steps:

1. Are you a member of the Windows' Administrators group on this machine?
    2. Did you install the 64bit or 32bit JRE or both?
    3. Did you perform the installation? In other words, were you logged in as you when the installation was performed?
    4. Do you have any other major JRE version installed? For example 1.6.0_xx
    5. Have you tried any other version?
    6. When you performed the 7U17 installation, did you have a previous version installed which was upgraded or was this a clean install?

2. Reboot (not really necessary, but you never know ;) )
    4. Retest

If this works and you need the 64bit too, then you can install it. Both versions can co-exist.
    1. Yes, I only have 1 user, which is the admin.
    2. 32-bit JRE only.
    3. Yeah, only 1 user on this machine.
    4. No.
    5. I have, I have tried a bunch of releases, mostly 1.6 ones.
    6. I've tried both, but this last one was a clean install.

Thanks for the recommendation of action, but that's pretty much what I've been trying the last 2-3 times. It probably won't make a difference if I try it again. I just don't understand what's wrong. I've spent hours googling and haven't found a solution yet.

EDIT: Tried uninstalling using windows fixit (if by chance the registry had been damaged at an earlier uninstall/install) and then installing java7u17 anew. It does not seem to work, I've tried a bunch of webtesters, and none show any java installation on my computer, nothing happens when I click java in the start menu either.

Edited by: 992706 on Mar 24, 2013 1:17 PM

Edited by: 992706 on Mar 24, 2013 1:21 PM
  • 9. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    Try accessing the control panel directly:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe

If this does not appear to open, open your Windows Task Manager and see there is a javaw.exe process running. If there is then unless that instance of the proc belongs to something else that is running, you might have an issue on your machine. It is possible that security software is blocking the startup of java and its gui. If you have something like Internet Security or virus scanning software running, I would either consider carefully reviewing their settings or temporarily disable them to see if they are causing the problem. Also, you may want to consider uninstalling Java 7 then installing Java 6 and retesting.
  • 10. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    995709 Newbie
    I tried launching javacpl from an admin-cmd, I get a seconds worth of the circle-loading-mousepointer, but nothing more. It seems no java-process is running in taskmanager. What can be deduced from this? Faulty installation, even though there were no errors?
    I could try installing j6 again, but only if that was the last resort. I've had some security issues in the past related to not running the latest java.
  • 11. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    Well there are at least four possibilities.

1. You are accessing the Windows machine remotely (e.g. VNC, Remote Desktop, etc) and the emulation is not working correctly.

2. You do not have proper permissions to start the Java Control Panel or it is being blocked by some security software (e.g. virus scanner, internet security software,etc). Check Windows DEP

3. The JRE installation is corrupt or in conflict with another installation.

4. The OS installation is corrupt and preventing the Control Panel from starting.
  • 12. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    1011914 Newbie
    hi
    did you try to rename your %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment folder ?

It worked for me (JRE7u21 32 bits windows 7 64 bits)

greetings

--julien                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 13. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    gimbal2 Guru
    Regardless of this thread being a bit old, I don't understand most of it. I see mentionings of "running java" - but what are you running then? Java does not have start menu items! If you 'run' javaw.exe, you will indeed get zero result as you instruct it to do nothing so it will do nothing. You need to use Javaw.exe to actually execute a java application to be able to see anything happening at all. If you want to do Java development with a graphical user interface you will need to download and install an IDE such as Netbeans or Eclipse. If it is in fact an IDE that refuses to run then that is another area to investigate, it doesn't have to be the JDK installation that is faulty.

The control panel thing is in my opinion probably the only real issue of this thread - more people have had troubles in some way or another with it in recent updates although generally the problem results in a crash. In this thread someone claims to have found an actual answer to his/her own misery in the form of a missing registry key:

FIXED: Control panel error installing from MSI with JRE 7 U 21
  • 14. Re: Can't Access Java Control Panel JRE7u17 Windows 7 64-bit
    1011914 Newbie
    Isn't it the object of this thread ? Can't acces java control panel via the java item in the windows control panel (or directly via javacpl.exe) ? Yes it is.

And in my case, a workaround to my own misery as you said, was to rename (or delete) the mentionned folder...posted in the hope that will be usefull for someone, in a pretty old thread you're right, but i found this thread by googling some stuff to solve my problem.

So if you don't want responses here, lock the thread no ?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points