4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 10:05 AM by HamidHelal RSS

Facility to attach Screen-Shot with the question/Problem will be availabe ?

HamidHelal
      Dear Management/Moderator,

I would like to thank you all for a great forum. But i feel, lack of attaching screen-shot facility it's complicated to understand the problem and describing the problem. Moreover all the member's national language is not english.

Can i request for attaching screenshot facility for the forum ?

I aspect management will think about it.

Hamidur Rahman Siddique
      Mob. < telephone number removed by moderator so you won't be plagued by robocalls for all Eternity>
      Bangladesh

Edited by: rukbat on Apr 5, 2013 9:11 AM
      Publishing your telephone number into a publicly and freely viewable online site is unwise.
        • 1. Re: Facility to attach Screen-Shot with the question/Problem will be availabe ?
          BluShadow
          HamidHelal wrote:

I would like to thank you all for a great forum. But i feel, lack of attaching screen-shot facility it's complicated to understand the problem and describing the problem. Moreover all the member's national language is not english.

It's been discussed in the past and I doubt it will will ever happen. (and it certainly won't happen in this version of the forum which is soon to be replaced).

a) attaching images to posts gives the opportunity for undesirable people to upload inappropriate images (and that's putting it politely).
          b) images take up a lot of storage space - these forums have thousands of members, and it's a free forum - who's going to pay for all the disk space required?
          c) a lot of members access the forums from their workplace - and many workplaces have restrictions on web content that may prevent certain images from being displayed, to cut down on network bandwidth, add security etc.
          d) Whilst English isn't everyone's first language, it is the most international language around, and most members are tolerent and accepting of the fact that not everyone speaks perfect english. The OTN forums are also available in some other languages too...

e.g.

Korean: https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=86&start=0
          Japanese: https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=484

and if your english isn't very good, you can always use something like google translator to convert what you want to say, to at least some standard people can understand.
          • 2. Re: Facility to attach Screen-Shot with the question/Problem will be availabe ?
            HamidHelal
            BluShadow wrote:
            HamidHelal wrote:

It's been discussed in the past and I doubt it will will ever happen. (and it certainly won't happen in this version of the forum which is soon to be replaced).

a) attaching images to posts gives the opportunity for undesirable people to upload inappropriate images (and that's putting it politely).
            b) images take up a lot of storage space - these forums have thousands of members, and it's a free forum - who's going to pay for all the disk space required?
            c) a lot of members access the forums from their workplace - and many workplaces have restrictions on web content that may prevent certain images from being displayed, to cut down on network bandwidth, add security etc.
            d) Whilst English isn't everyone's first language, it is the most international language around, and most members are tolerent and accepting of the fact that not everyone speaks perfect english. The OTN forums are also available in some other languages too...

e.g.

and if your english isn't very good, you can always use something like google translator to convert what you want to say, to at least some standard people can understand.
            Dear BluShadow,
            Thanks for your clarification. Everything has side effect and it's certainly true. I agree with your all the point. If i have a knife, i can use for good work also for bad work. depends on what i want. Forum has active moderator. More over all active member report all unwanted threads.

If we think to keep it clean we can. Yes we can.

Do we ?

Pay issue- If we don't suggest our client to purchase oracle, how can oracle corporation earn ? ;)

Regards,

Hamid
            • 3. Re: Facility to attach Screen-Shot with the question/Problem will be availabe ?
              BluShadow
              HamidHelal wrote:
              BluShadow wrote:
              HamidHelal wrote:

e.g.

Dear BluShadow,
              Thanks for your clarification. Everything has side effect and it's certainly true. I agree with your all the point. If i have a knife, i can use for good work also for bad work. depends on what i want. Forum has active moderator. More over all active member report all unwanted threads.

If we think to keep it clean we can. Yes we can.

Do we ?
              Not quite sure what your point is.
              If the forums allow for more rubbish to be posted, that creates more work for the moderating team... who are just volunteers with their own jobs to do, and I for one certainly wouldn't want to be visiting a thread to suddenly find innapropriate images displayed on my screen within my workplace. I don't think my management would approve, and it could put people's jobs at risk if it's thought they are using the internet for the wrong reasons, not to mention the offence it could cause other workers.
              Pay issue- If we don't suggest our client to purchase oracle, how can oracle corporation earn ? ;)
              What does that have to do with the free OTN forums?
              What does the free OTN forums have to do with whether you client is provided with the best platform for their needs?
              • 4. Re: Facility to attach Screen-Shot with the question/Problem will be availabe ?
                HamidHelal
                >
                Not quite sure what your point is.
                If the forums allow for more rubbish to be posted, that creates more work for the moderating team... who are just volunteers with their own jobs to do, and I for one certainly wouldn't want to be visiting a thread to suddenly find innapropriate images displayed on my screen within my workplace. I don't think my management would approve, and it could put people's jobs at risk if it's thought they are using the internet for the wrong reasons, not to mention the offence it could cause other workers.
                What does that have to do with the free OTN forums?
                What does the free OTN forums have to do with whether you client is provided with the best platform for their needs?
                Thanks i agree.. ;)