This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 2:37 AM by TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com RSS

Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression

user122479 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi experts,
I am very new in Java. Currently, I get stuck in the exception of program. Please help me figure out what is the issue. The eclipse raises the error "Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression" at the command "exception;" as below code.

Thanks,
Hieu

Edited by: user122479 on Apr 5, 2013 4:23 PM
  • 1. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    please add
    -tags around your code and the complete Stacktrace.

bye
    TPD                                                                                                                                                                                
  • 2. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    rp0428 Guru
    Sorry - this forum doesn't provide help if it appears that the code being posted may not belong to the person posting.

>
    break MISSING_BLOCK_LABEL_221;
    >
    That's the type of code you get when you try to decompile a class file and the decompiler you are using doesn't understand the code.

If this is YOUR code you would already have the source file and wouldn't need to decompile it.
  • 3. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    user122479 Newbie
    Hi TPD,
    I put
     as your advice, but it is still error. Can you please show me where is the issue? I am really new in Java, this code was developed by my colleague.

Thanks,
    Hieu

Edited by: user122479 on Apr 5, 2013 4:23 PM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
  • 4. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Can you please show me where is the issue? I am really new in Java, this code was developed by my colleague
    >
    No - it wasn't. That code was decompiled from a class file. No one puts statements like this in a source file
    break MISSING_BLOCK_LABEL_221; 
    I told you where the 'issue' is. That code is not Java, is invalid and indicates that the source was produced by decompiling a class file.

If that code was really developed by your 'colleague' then you could get the real source code and it would not have those lines in it.
  • 5. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    user122479 Newbie
    Hi,
    My colleague sent me the WAR file, and open it with Eclipse using import functionality. Because I am new in Java, I do not know the importing functionality is call 'decompiling'. Anyway, I will remove all code.

Thanks,
  • 6. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    user122479 wrote:
    I put { code } as your advice, but it is still error.
    You put the
     tage in your *.java file?

Oh dear!

I think you should  take a few days to go trough the Java tutorials
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ starting at "Trails Covering the Basics"

Then you should find a tutorial on your IDE to learn how to import a project.

Programming is a craft.
    And as with any craft you need some knowledge on your matter and training on your tools.

A forum is not the right place to gather either one.

bye
    TPD                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  • 7. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    gimbal2 Guru
    TPD Opitz-Consulting com wrote:
    Programming is a craft.
    And as with any craft you need some knowledge on your matter and training on your tools.
    Nice!
    A forum is not the right place to gather either one.
    Be gentle, it hurts when you are made to realize that you can't program by copy/pasting code together.
  • 8. Re: Syntax error, insert "AssignmentOperator Expression" to complete Expression
    gimbal2 wrote:
    TPD Opitz-Consulting com wrote:
    Programming is a craft.
    Nice!
    I only quoted uncle Bob: http://www.amazon.de/Clean-Code-Handbook-Software-Craftsmanship/dp/0132350882

bye
    TPD

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points