8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 11:24 AM by Sherry Lamonica-Oracle RSS

Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file

user13667036
      This is bit strange, I posted this message in 2 forums but surprisingly can't find it anymore!! Anyways, I would appreciate if anyone can help me a bit on this issue:

I am having trouble installing ORE 1.3 on my windows 7 (home premium, personal notebook) 64 bit. I strictly followed the installation note and made sure all the path variables are defined properly. My R version is 2.15.1. My Windows user is a member of ora_dba group as can be seen below.
      C:\Users\sourabh>net localgroup ora_dba
      Alias name        ora_dba
      Comment         Oracle DBA Group

Members
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      sourabh
      The command completed successfully.
      Now when I try to install.bat (bare with me as I try to include the whole path as I believe there may be the problem. Note that my oracle and R installation is in H:\ drive, not in C:\. Can that be an issue about some windows permission? I off-course tried many ways, gave the user full permission, but no luck.)
      C:Users\sourabh>H:\ORACLE\OracleREnterprise\ORE\ore-server-win-x86_64-1.3\server\install.bat

Oracle R Enterprise 1.3 Server Installation.
      Copyright (c) 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Checking R ...................................
      Pass
      Checking R libraries ........................
      Pass
      Checking ORACLE_HOME ...............
      Pass
      Checking ORACLE_SID ..................
      Pass
      Checking sqlplus ...........................
      Pass
      Checking ORE ..............................
      Pass
      Current configuration
        R_HOME            = H:\ORACLE\OracleREnterprise\R\R-2.15.1
        R_LIBS_USER     = H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome\R\library
        ORACLE_HOME  =  H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome
        ORACLE_SID      = SINHA
      Do you wish to install ORE? [yes]

Choosomg RQSIS tablespace
      PERMANENT tablespace to use for RQSYS [SYSAUX]:
        Using default SYSAUX
      TEMPORARY tablespace to use for RQSYS [TEMP]:
        Using default TEMP
        Tablespace summary
        PERMANENT tablespace = SYSAUX
        TEMPORARY tablespace = TEMP

Installing libraries ..............
      Fail
        ERROR: cannot copy "rqe.dll" to "H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome\bin"

C:Users\sourabh>
      Now here is the default group/user and permissions structures for C:\ and H:\ installation directories on my computer:
      C:\program files : 

Group or user names                                    Permissions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                            
              CREATOR OWNER                                          Special Permissions
              SYSTEM                                                 FULL control
              Administrators (Win7\administrators)                   FULL control                
              Users (Win7\Users)                                     Read & execute, List folder contents, Read
              TrustedInstaller                                       List folder contents, Special Permissions

H:\%ORACLE_HOME% :

Group or user names                                    Permissions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                            
              Authenticated Users                                    Special Permissions
              SYSTEM                                                 FULL control
              Administrators (Win7\administrators)                   FULL control                
      Now noticed that there is no user called sourabh (Win7\Users) or Users (Win7\Users) on H:\, so I created and gave them "Full control" permission before running install script, but still no luck.... Any help please?

Thanks,
      Sourabh
        • 1. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
          user13667036
          This is an update, actually a test to check whether I can write in %ORACLE_HOME% -- suggested By Sherry LaMonica (member of this forum). She suggested to check if I can create any folder there. I checked -- I can create folder, read, write, copy delete files for all these directories: %ORACLE_HOME%, %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN and %ORACLE_HOME%\R\library (created during ORE installation -- though nothing is there).

~Sourabh
          • 2. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
            Sherry Lamonica-Oracle
            Sourabh,

The installer is failing when copying libraries to $ORACLE_HOME/bin. Here's the exact point in the script that fails:

@echo Installing libraries .........
            set ORE_FILES=^
            "rqe.dll" ^
            "ore.dll" ^
            "libiomp5md.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\R.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\Rblas.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\Rlapack.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\Rgraphapp.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\Riconv.dll" ^
            "%R_HOME%\bin\x64\Rzlib.dll"
            for %%f in (!ORE_FILES!) do (
            call:filename %%f
            set f="%ORACLE_HOME%\bin\!RET!"
            if exist !f! (
            @echo. WARNING: already exists !f!
            )
            copy /Y %%f "%ORACLE_HOME%\bin" >null
            if errorlevel 1 (
            @echo.Fail
            @echo. ERROR: cannot copy %%f to "%ORACLE_HOME%\bin"
            goto exit
            )
            )

You've confirmed that you are logged in as user sourabh when installing ORE, and that user sourabh is in the ORA_DBA group and has write permission to $ORACLE_HOME/bin on drive H. Satisfying these requirements typically ensures a successful installation, so it's not yet clear why you are experiencing problems on your Windows 7 machine. Please try manually copying the 9 DLLs mentioned above to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and then try running the installer again.

Sherry
            • 3. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
              user13667036
              Sherry,
              Thanks for your reply, in fact if I remember correctly I did copy the req.dll to %ORACLE_HOME%\bin and it showed the warning (dll already exists) and came up with the error (I don't remember what exactly - probably for the next dll). I will try to install tonight and update.
              Oh, by the way it just occurred to me that while installing ORE, my database is always up and running. Can that be an issue? I always start the DB because the manual says I need to create R user after installing...

Thanks,
              Sourabh

Edited by: user13667036 on Apr 8, 2013 7:07 AM
              • 4. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
                user13667036
                Hi all,
                I have finally solved the problem, it seems somehow on my windows home premium I can't run the install script (on H:\ ) from the command line. I manually ran the batch script by double clicking on it, it ran fine and I was finally able to install ORE (server + supported + client) on my laptop. Now the connection -- followed through the manual, created user and granted all the roles. Now that I want to test the connection, I open R console and below are the input and output error message though it seems I can connect to the database:
                R>
                R> library(ORE)
                Loading required package: OREbase

Attaching package: ‘OREbase’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:base’:

cbind, data.frame, eval, interaction, order, paste, pmax, pmin, rbind, table

Loading required package: OREstats
                Loading required package: MASS
                Loading required package: OREgraphics
                Loading required package: OREeda
                Loading required package: OREdm
                Loading required package: lattice
                Loading required package: OREpredict
                Loading required package: ORExml
                R>
                R>
                R>
                R> ore.connect(user = 'scott', sid = 'sinha', host = 'win7', password = 'tiger', port = 1521, all = T)
                Error in .oci.GetQuery(conn, statement, data = data, prefetch = prefetch,  : 
                  ORA-06520: PL/SQL: Error loading external library
                ORA-06522: Unable to load DLL
                ORA-06512: at "RQSYS.RQEVALIMPL", line 17
                ORA-06512: at "RQSYS.RQEVALIMPL", line 14
                ORA-06512: at line 4
                R> 
                R> 
                R> ore.is.connected()
                [1] TRUE
                R> 
                I get the exact same error when I try to use even the ORE user "rquser". Any suggestion how to resolve this error?

Thanks,
                Sourabh
                • 5. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
                  user13667036
                  Sherry suggested:
                  - This may be an issue with extproc on your system.   
                  - Configure EXTPROC by altering the extproc.ora file located in the ORACLE_HOME\hs\admin directory by setting the EXTPROC_DLLS environment variable:
                  - EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY
                  - Then restart the database and try ore.connect() again.
                  My Followup:

"EXTPROC_DLL=ONLY" in extproc.ora results:
                  R> ore.connect(user = 'scott', sid = 'sinha', host = 'win7', password = 'tiger', port = 1521, all = T)
                  Loading required package: ROracle
                  Loading required package: DBI
                    ORA-28578: protocol error during callback from an external procedure
                  "EXTPROC_DLL=ANY" in extproc.ora results (same as before):
                  Loading required package: ROracle
                  Loading required package: DBI
                    ORA-06520: PL/SQL: Error loading external library
                  ORA-06522: Unable to load DLL
                  • 6. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
                    Denis Mukhin
                    What is in your <tt>tnsnames.ora</tt> and <tt>listner.ora</tt>?
                    • 7. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
                      user13667036
                      Hi Denis,
                      Below are my listner.ora and tnsnames.ora. My oracle version is 11.2, and it is pointed out by Sherry LaMonica that for ORE to work properly Oracle version needs to be 11.2.0.3. Is there any way out other than applying the patch or upgrading to 11.2.0.3.

listner.ora:
                      # listener.ora Network Configuration File: H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome\network\admin\listener.ora
                      # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                        (SID_LIST =
                          (SID_DESC =
                            (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                            (ORACLE_HOME = H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome)
                            (PROGRAM = extproc)
                            (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome\bin\oraclr11.dll")
                          )
                        )

LISTENER =
                        (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Win7)(PORT = 1521))
                          )
                        )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g 
                      tnsnames.ora:
                      # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: H:\ORACLE\Oracle11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
                      # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
                        (DESCRIPTION =
                          (ADDRESS_LIST =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
                          )
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SID = CLRExtProc)
                            (PRESENTATION = RO)
                          )
                        )

SINHA =
                        (DESCRIPTION =
                          (ADDRESS_LIST =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Win7)(PORT = 1521))
                          )
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SERVICE_NAME = sinha.168.0.100)
                          )
                        )
                      Thanks,
                      Sourabh
                      • 8. Re: Oracle R Enterprise installation ERROR: cannot copy dll file
                        Sherry Lamonica-Oracle
                        Sourabh, exptroc is configured correctly in your database.

As we discussed, in order for embedded R to work properly, Oracle Database must include the patch that fixes bug number 11678127. Oracle Databse 11.2.0.3 includes this fix. If you cannot upgrade to Oracle 11.2.0.3, you can use Oracle 11.2.0.1 or 11.2.0.2 if you install the patch that fixes bug number 11678127.

Until you patch or upgrade, you can only use Oracle R Enterprise in non-embedded mode.

Sherry